[OR_Archaeology] Archaeology/Osteology lectures in Salem | April 5 and 19 |

Ortwin Knorr oknorr at willamette.edu
Wed Apr 4 09:44:23 PDT 2012

[image: Inline image 1]

 Please join us for the two final AIA lectures of the season:

*
*

Sticks and Stones May Break Their Bones: Trauma Patterns in Early Christian
Cyprus
Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 7:30 pm at the Paulus Lecture Hall, College of
Law

*Dr. Sherry Fox*
 Director of the Wiener Laboratory
American School of Classical Studies at Athens

Human skeletal remains from four Early Christian ecclesiastical sites in
Cyprus have been analyzed in an effort to discern the common burial
customs, the demographic profiles (sex and age) of individuals from the
site, along with pathological data such as the common diseases, and in
particular, evidence for trauma from individuals dating to this time period
on the island. There are few skeletal studies on Cypriot material from the
Early Christian period.

The largest site under study, the Hill of Agios Georgios (St. George’s
Hill), is an inland site, located on a rise adjacent to the Pedeios River
outside the Venetian walled city of the capital, Nicosia. Four
churches/basilicas and their associated cemeteries dating from around the 4
th century A.D. to the post-medieval period have been excavated at the Hill
of Agios Georgios where today a chapel dedicated to St. George the Healer
is situated. To date, approximately 28 of the total 216 individuals from
the site are recovered from Early Christian contexts.

The other, smaller church/basilica sites of Kalavasos-*Kopetra* (n=21),
Alassa-*Ayia Mavri* (n=26), and Maroni-*Petrera* (n=6), are located near
the south coast.

Different patterns have emerged between the smaller, coastal sites when
compared to the larger, inland site of the Hill of Agios Georgios. The
pattern is particularly evident when examining evidence for trauma such as
fracture types and locations. There are more fractures, greater variability
among fractures, and fractures among more males, including cranial
fractures and hand trauma, and in a later period, even parry fractures that
characterize individuals at the urban and inland site of the Hill of Agios
Georgios when compared with individuals from the South Coast who are
characterized by more severe trauma from falls that include multiple
fractures. Reasons for the different patterns in this preliminary study
will be discussed.

| More information<http://www.willamette.edu/news/library/2012/03/sticksand_stones.html>
 |

 | A no-host dinner with Dr. Fox will be held in the Jason Lee Room at
Goudy Commons at 6:00 pm |

| ASL interpretation is available upon request by emailing
mbachvar at willamette.edu |

 *Short Lives and Forgotten Deaths: Infant Skeletons from the “Baby Well”
in the Athenian Agora*

Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm at the Paulus Lecture Hall, College of
Law

 *Dr. Maria Liston*

Associate Professor and Chair

Anthropology Department

University of Waterloo

In 1932, excavators in the Athenian Agora discovered a disturbing deposit
one of the wells on the site. The skeletons of hundreds of infants and dogs
were recovered from debris deposited after the well ceased to be used as a
water supply. The mass of infant burials led to much speculation, and
possible explanations for the large number of infant skeletons included a
cult of infant sacrifice, previously undocumented plague, and association
with military disaster. A recent multi-disciplinary project has at last
clarified the date and nature of the deposit, and provides insight into the
high infant mortality rates that plagued the ancient city. This lecture
examines the causes of death of nearly 450 infants deposited in the well,
and explores the possible explanations for the creation of this unusual
mass grave.

| More information<http://www.willamette.edu/centers/casa/events/library/2011_2012/maria_liston.html>
 |

 | A no-host dinner with Dr. Liston will be held in the Jason Lee Room at
Goudy Commons at 6:00 pm |

| ASL interpretation is available upon request by emailing
mbachvar at willamette.edu |

Also of interest from the Hallie Ford Museum of Art:

Sustainable Spirits: Transformation and Continuity in West African Sculpture
Paulus Lecture Hall, Willamette University College of Law
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Candice Goucher, Professor of African History at Washington State University

Prof. Goucher will present an illustrated lecture exploring the dynamic
relationships among the art, societies, and ecology of West Africa.  Goucher’s
lecture is presented in conjunction with “West African Sculpture:
Selections from the Mary Johnston
Collection,”<http://www.willamette.edu/arts/hfma/exhibitions/library/2011-12/african_sculpture.html>
which
continues through June 3 at the Hallie Ford Museum of Art. The exhibit
features a wide range of masks, sculptures and other objects found among
the various tribes of West Africa.

| More information<http://www.willamette.edu/news/library/2012/03/African_artlecture.html>

*
*
*You have received this email because of your affiliation with the Center
for Ancient Studies and Archaeology at Willamette University. If you wish
to be removed from our special events notification list, please email
mbachvar at willamette.edu or spike at willamette.edu

--
Dr. Ortwin Knorr
Associate Professor of Classics & Chair