[OR_Archaeology] Archaeology Roadshow 2013

John Pouley john.pouley at state.or.us
Mon May 13 07:42:50 PDT 2013

Dear friends and colleagues,
Our March event of 2012 went so well, we decided to develop another
metro-Portland archaeology/heritage outreach activity. I'm working with
my spring quarter Community Archaeology class this time--- and we've set
the date for June 2, 11-3 and this year will have it at the OMSI,
auditorium.

As with last time, we're inviting the public to come bring their
artifacts in for
identification. We're going to have various demonstrations and
activities for adults and kids as well. We see this as a good way to
show folks
what we can learn from the past, as well as communicating some of the
ethical and legal implications of artifact collecting. This will also
give
the Portland area archaeo-crowd a chance to come together, build
community, etc.

I am requesting two things: First, that you help promote this in your
own social orbits--please see the attached flier that you can post and
share. Second--if you'd like to volunteer to help with this, be an
"expert"
or help "man" one of the activity tables that we are putting together,
it
would be great to have you here. Please contact me, Virginia Butler (
virginia at pdx.edu; 503.725.3303 ( tel:503.725.3303 )) to let me know how
you'd like to get
involved. We'd love your help!!

Many thanks for your time and attention,
Virginia Butler

Here's the basic info:

Archaeology Roadshow 2013 brought to you by Portland State anthropology
students @ OMSI June 2
Do you have bones in your basement, artifacts in your attic, or fossils
above your fireplace—that you want to learn more about? Or are you just
interested in learning more about archaeology? Then you want to come to
the free, Archaeology Roadshow, Sunday, June 2, 11-3 at OMSI auditorium.
Experts will be on hand from PSU and the community to tell you the story
behind your prehistoric or historic object such as how old it is, how it
functioned, or if a bone, what animal it’s from. No appraisals will be
given. Besides artifact identification, we’ll have several exhibits,
demonstrations and hands-on activities for adults and kids -- like stone
tool making, animal bone identification, and local archaeology projects.
Come for 5 minutes or stay the whole time, and remember... it is totally
free to attend!

Where: OMSI, 1945 SE Water Ave, Portland 97214
When: Sunday, June 2, 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
Who: Adults and kids -- anyone who wants to learn some cool things
about archaeology and our connections to the past
Cost: Free (museum admission not included)
Contact for more Information: PSU Department of Anthropology, Virginia
Butler, 503.725.3303 ( tel:503.725.3303 ),virginia at pdx.edu;
www.anthropology.pdx.edu/roadshow.html
archaeologyroadshow.tumblr.com
Facebook.com/archaeologyroadshow2013pdx

Partners (still developing):
Portland State University Dept. of Anthropology
OMSI
National Park Service, Fort Vancouver National Historic Site
Willamette Cultural Resources Associates, Ltd.
SWCA Environmental Consultants
Archaeological Investigations Northwest, Inc.
Applied Archaeological Research, Inc.
Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde
Chinook Tribe
Oregon Archaeological Society