[OR_Archaeology] Portland Archaeology Roadshow 2014, Sunday June 1st at OMSI-Organizational Meeting

John Pouley john.pouley at state.or.us
Mon Oct 28 14:39:21 PDT 2013

Hello all—
As many of you know, my Public Archaeology class at PSU teamed up with
energetic and inspired community partners (from tribes, federal
agencies, OAS, local companies) last June 2013, to host the “Archaeology
Roadshow” at Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) here in
Portland. The event, which attracted close to 600 people, featured over
30 exhibits about archaeology, a kid dig—and a panel of experts who
tried to identify treasures members of the public brought in for us to
look at. http://archaeologyroadshow.tumblr.com/

We’ve claimed the date for our 2014 event –also at OMSI, for Sunday
June 1st, 2014. So mark your calendars.

Another reason for my note: I'd like to have an organizational meeting
this fall to bring people together to help plan the overall operation.
Our public archaeology class has combed all the visitor survey data and
feedback from students and community partners. One thing to emerge from
that was the sense that this event would be better if we had more
community involvement much earlier in the planning. To that end....
we’ve set our first organizational meeting Saturday afternoon, Nov
16, at 3:00 pm at PSU. Cramer 41 (our classroom/lab, basement).
http://www.pdx.edu/campus-map

I'm planning to submit a grant proposal to the Oregon Heritage Grant--
2013-2015 biennium; this is due Dec. 16, so it will be great to have
your thoughts about ways we could use these funds.

We could use help with all manner of things--from publicity, to ways of
approaching ethics in our exhibits; to developing better ways of
creating effective and fun hands-on activities, to brainstorming about
ways of bringing in targeted audiences (like school groups, boy scouts,
seniors). We were pleased with the turnout last year, but know we could
double or triple that with more targeted campaigning.

I really look forward to working with you on this--in whatever way you
can. If you can't come to our first meeting but want to help with
organization, just let me know and I'll keep you in the loop.

Best to you all, Virginia Butler

Department of Anthropology
Portland State University
Portland, OR 97207