[OR_Archaeology] PSU First Thursday Archaeology Lecture - Politics and Pottery: Reassessing Prehistoric Market System Development in the Valley of Oaxaca, Mexico

John Pouley john.pouley at state.or.us
Mon Nov 4 10:17:45 PST 2013

Hello all--

The Portland State University Department of Anthropology and
Anthropology Student Association invite you to attend our First Thursday
Archaeology presentation this Thursday, Nov 7 at 4 pm, .

Dr. Leah Minc (Oregon State University) will present:

Politics and Pottery: Reassessing Prehistoric Market System Development
in the Valley of Oaxaca, Mexico

Ceramic studies have been key to understanding the political and
economic processes marking the rise of the Zapotec state. To date,
however, our models of intra-regional integration and inter-regional
contact - as well as the organization of craft production and market
exchange - have been largely based on subjective measures of
interaction, such as shared ceramic styles and technologies. This talk
reports on current research at the OSU Archaeometry Lab to update our
understanding of market system development in Oaxaca, using
compositional analysis of pottery via INAA. This on-going work combines
extensive field survey to document regional variability in clay
composition with spatial modeling to “source” pottery to a specific
place on the landscape, and to track its movement from producer to
consumer during key phases of political development. These trace-element
studies greatly enhance our understanding of the ancient Zapotec
economy, by providing a robust means for monitoring both the spatial
organization and intensity of exchange interactions.

The presentation will be held in SMITH CENTER, Room 236.
(http://www.pdx.edu/campus-map)

I have attached a flyer for her presentation--and a listing for the
rest of the presentations we've arranged for the 2013-2014 academic
year.

Look forward to seeing you next week!

2013-2014 List of Speakers, Portland State University Archaeology First
Thursdays

October 3. PSU graduate students (Thomas Brown, Pat Rennaker, Reno
Nims, Martin Plumer, Justin Junge) will make presentations about their
recent projects. Cramer 41.
November 7. Leah Minc (Oregon State University). Politics and Pottery:
Reassessing Prehistoric Market System Development in the Valley of
Oaxaca, Mexico Smith 236

December 5. Elizabeth Bollwerk (University of Washington). Smoking
Pipes in Pits: Exploring the Significance of Ritual Objects in
Unexpected Places Smith 236 January 9.  (note, presentation on the 2nd
Thursday as classes don’t begin until the 2nd week of January).
Sarah Campbell (Western Washington University) TITLE TBA Smith 236
February 6.   Briece R. Edwards (Confederated Tribes of the Grand
Ronde).  The archaeology of Pompeii Smith 236
March 6. Speaker TBA Smith 236

April 3. Jay Noller (Oregon State University) The dynamic relationship
between people and environment in Cyprus over the past 5,000 years:
Innovations and results from the Troodos Archaeological and
Environmental Survey Project. Smith 236

May 1. Scott Fitzpatrick (University of Oregon). How Oceanographic
Effects Influenced the Prehistoric Colonization of Islands: A Pacific -
Caribbean Comparison Cramer 41

June 5. Madonna Moss (University of Oregon). The archaeology of herring
Smith 236

--
Virginia L. Butler
Department of Anthropology