[OR_Archaeology] PSU Lecture - The Archaeology of Pacific Herring in Alaska

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Mon Jun 2 10:04:57 PDT 2014

Hello all--
We invite you to hear Dr. Madonna Moss from the University of Oregon  present at our last First Thursday's presentation of this 2013-2014 academic year. this Thursday, June 5, at 4 pm.

The title of her presentation is,

The Archaeology of Pacific Herring in Alaska

abstract:
We aim to develop a more complete understanding of the ancient Alaska Native use of Pacific herring (Clupea pallasi) to better assess the historical abundance, biogeography and genetic diversity of herring in the past. Herring bone samples from 17 archaeological sites in Alaska spanning over 10,000 cal BP have been tested.  Ancient DNA recovery has been high, but technical challenges limit what we can say about genetic population structure at this time.  Preliminary evaluation as to how the Alaska samples relate to others in British Columbia, Washington State, and the northwestern Pacific will be presented.  The results should have implications for fisheries policy and practices, Alaska Native subsistence rights, and herring conservation.

Her presentation will be held in Smith Center 236.   This presentation is sponsored by the Department of Anthropology and the Anthropology Student Association.

We look forward to seeing you all!

--
Virginia L. Butler
Department of Anthropology