[OR_Archaeology] NHPA in the Pacific Northwest - Survey

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Mon Sep 22 10:48:08 PDT 2014

Darby Stapp (Journal of Northwest Anthropology) is preparing a chapter on the impact of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) in the Pacific Northwest.  The chapter will appear in a book being prepared to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the NHPA.  The book is being edited by Kimball Banks and Ann Scott and will be published by Left Coast Press prior to the Society of American Archaeology annual meeting in 2016.  The book is described as follows:

"The objective is to look at the impact of NHPA and how we approached compliance in the past, how we approach it now, and how we may approach it in the future.  We want to present how federal, state, and tribal entities approach compliance and how contractors in different regions approach it.  How has the level of inventory changed, how has evaluation and mitigation changed, and how has the approach to and determinations of eligibility changed.  Has the types of clients changed; and how have the federal and state agencies changed in their approach.  What were the issues, what are the issues, and what will the issues be in the near future.  We want to look at the good, the bad, and the ugly; what has worked and what has not.   Hopefully the result will be a critical and constructive examination."

In addition to contacting CRM colleagues, agency staff, and the SHPO offices in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington, Stapp is distributing is a 12-question survey through Survey Monkey to obtain feedback from those working in CRM in the Pacific Northwest.  The short survey can be found at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/D88VJKY.  Feedback can also be sent directly to Darby at dstapp at pocketinet.com<mailto:dstapp at pocketinet.com>.

John O. Pouley
Assistant State Archaeologist
Oregon SHPO