[OR_Archaeology] PSU First Thursday Lecture

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Mon Sep 29 12:25:06 PDT 2014

Hello All--

PSU's  Department of Anthropology and Anthropology Student Association invite you to the first, Archaeology First Thursdays of the 2014-2015 academic year, set for this coming Thursday, Oct 2, at 4 pm, Smith Memorial Center Room 238.

Dr. Rory Becker, of Eastern Oregon University, will present:

"Seeing beneath the soil: The use of non-invasive remote sensing techniques in archaeology"

Archaeologists employ many methods for trying to understand human behavior and cultures in the past.  However, not all of them involve digging square holes or moving massive amounts of dirt.  Remote sensing technologies such as LiDAR, magnetic gradiometer, resistivity, and ground penetrating radar can be used to help archaeologists learn about the past through non-invasive techniques.  The use of these techniques helps archaeologists find new sites, focus their excavations on highly productive areas, and can help preserve archaeological sites for future study.

I'm also attaching our overall schedule for upcoming presentations set for the 2014-2015 academic year.

All of these talks are free and open to the public.

This presentation is one of many featured in the Oregon Archaeology Celebration 2014 calendar of events.  see:   http://www.associationoforegonarchaeologists.org/uploads/2014_COE.pdf

We look forward to seeing you this coming Thursday!

--
Virginia L. Butler
Department of Anthropology

John O. Pouley