[OR_Archaeology] November 25 2013 email to contractors for November 8 2014 AOA meeting agenda topic

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Thu Oct 23 13:01:09 PDT 2014

All,

The field guidelines (Conducting Field Archaeology in Oregon) have been updated and are available at our web address http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/ARCH/Pages/index.aspx.  The most noticeable changes are in the appendices.  There is new guidance on underwater archaeology, collection of DNA, monitoring and repatriation.  Smaller changes throughout the main text are predominantly clarifications from questions received about the 2007 guidelines.  Changes to specific field methods include the removal of 20 centimeter levels from shovel probes and reburial of artifacts within units/probes.

In another related topic, Oregon SHPO has been asked to justify their current definition of an archaeological site (10 or more artifacts or a feature).  State law makes references to an archaeological object or an archaeological site, with an archaeological site containing objects indicating a minimum of two would meet the definition.   We have begun internal discussions on the topic and are open to any feedback.  If there is a change in the definition of a site, we would give ample notification prior to implementation.

-John

John O. Pouley
Assistant State Archaeologist
Oregon SHPO