[OR_Archaeology] New Archaeology Jobs?

Leland Gilsen lelandgilsen at msn.com
Tue Dec 2 11:25:54 PST 2014

Scientific American Dec 2014 appears to have created a new area of employment for both paleontologists and archaeologists in their mixed metaphor article "Fossil Hunting... in the Milky Way" by Kathryn V. Johnston.

She has a subsection entitled "Digging for Galactic Fossils" that: "Over the past 15 years galactic archaeologists have gotten just that in the form of data from the Sloan Sky Survey (SDSS)."

Another subsection "New Excavation Tools" "Two groups are now measuring chemical compositions for millions of stars, and their data could be used to tackle this problem. One is the GALactic Archaeology with HERMES (GALAH) survey led by Freedman and Bland-Hawthorn, which has a pilot survey currently underway. The other is called the APO Galactic Evolution Experiment (APOGEE)"... "Galactic archaeologists are just beginning to appreciate that studying the Milky Way is like studying 1,000 galaxies, because that many smaller objects have combined to build up the larger body."

MY ITALICS

Dr. Leland Gilsen

www.oregon-archaeology.com

www.echoes-in-time.com

"My glass is neither half full nor half empty because it has a head of quantum foam." (2009 Leland Gilsen)

"My glass is empty, could I have another please?" (2010 Dale Coleman)

"All the best ideas are at the bottom of a beer can." (Jim Riggs)

My motto: "Theory comes and goes, but data are forever. "
                     "However data without information are sterile"