[OR_Archaeology] Oregon Archaeological Records Remote Access (OARRA) now available

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Wed Dec 10 09:15:40 PST 2014

Dear Oregon Archaeological Community,

It is with great pleasure that we at the Oregon SHPO announce the general launch of our online archaeological GIS research site.  To access this site you will need to meet one of the requirements for conducting background research and have an account created, which can be found here: http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/ARCH/docs/Policy%20for%20researchers%20updated%20April%2015%202014.doc .   We have reviewed our records and compiled a list of archeologists that we will use to start assigning user accounts.  Individuals on this list will receive an email with the URL to the GIS site along with their user name and password within the next couple of days.  If you do not receive an email with this information by Dec. 19th 2014, we apologize that we missed you. Please contact one of the SHPO archaeologist.  We will assist you in creating a user account.
While this is a huge step forward for the Oregon SHPO please realize that this is a limited research tool.  Users will have download access to all site forms and survey reports, but much of the additional information at the SHPO office will not initially be online.  This includes GIS data such as coastal bathometry data and additional geo-referenced GLO images.  Other information including cemetery location, regional contexts and other historical information is only available at our office.  We encourage you to schedule an appointment to review these records as well.
As this is our first iteration of the online GIS there are some tips we can offer to make the user experience better.  A user manual is available here:  http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/ARCH/docs/Oregon%20Online%20Archaeological%20GIS.pdf.  We assume that user traffic will be heaviest the first few weeks it is available.  Site performance may vary based on factors such as user traffic, internet connection speed, and size of file being downloaded.  If the site is slow or not up, it might be a good idea to try back a little later, as it is possible that the site is down from user load.  We will make every effort to ensure that the site is in top working order, but if it is not please be patient.  If you encounter a problem with the data or find incorrect information while conducting research there is a feedback button you can use to submit your comments to us via email.
Please keep in mind that access to this data is confidential.  To help maintain this confidentiality, user account information is based on individual information, not agency or firm affiliation.  If you have an account, it is your account and should not be shared with coworkers.  Failure to keep your account information private will result in the loss of privilege to access the online data for you and those with which the account was shared.
Once you receive your account information, we encourage you to try the site.  We hope you find it convenient and easy to use.  As time allows, we will be adding features and additional data to the site which will enhance user experience.

Sincerely,
SHPO Archaeologists,

Dennis Griffin- dennis.griffin at oregon.gov<mailto:dennis.griffin at oregon.gov>  503-986-0674

John Pouley- John.pouley at oregon.gov<mailto:John.pouley at oregon.gov>  503-986-0675