[OR_Archaeology] Easter Island Lecture at PSU

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Mon Jan 12 07:41:13 PST 2015

Hello all-

The PSU Anthropology Department and the Anthropology Student Association invite you to attend our Archaeology "First Thursdays" presentation on Thur Jan 15 at 4 pm, Cramer Hall 41.  [we recognize this is really the third Thursday.....but with this month's academic schedule, we adjusted things a bit).

Dr. Terry Hunt (University of Oregon) will present, Transporting Easter Island's Giant Statues

How were the multi-ton statues of Rapa Nui (Easter Island) transported over a rugged landscape to reach every corner of the island? Did carving and moving statues contribute to the ancient society's downfall, or help to sustain it?  Based on more than a decade of archaeological research on Rapa Nui, Professor Terry Hunt addresses these questions in this presentation. Perhaps Rapa Nui has a lesson for us today, but Hunt provides compelling evidence that it is not the one that has been so popular for many years.
The larger context for Dr. Hunt's presentation is found in his recent book, The Statues that Walked and other recent publications.
We look forward to seeing many of you at the talk.
See the attached flyer  to distribute as you can.  Thanks!

--
Virginia L. Butler
Department of Anthropology