[OR_Archaeology] 2015 Cultural Resource Protection Summit

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Mon Apr 13 08:52:53 PDT 2015

The 2015 Cultural Resource Protection Summit marks the eighth anniversary of our gathering. Since its
inception, the primary goal in organizing the annual Summit has been to facilitate amongst all affected parties an
open, frank discussion about the intersection between cultural resources and land use. The Summit is designed
to promote collaborative cultural resource planning as an effective means of finding resolution to issues before
they escalate into emotionally-charged, divisive, and expensive stalemates or law suits.
This year, the Summit agenda will encourage attendees to examine the challenges of and opportunities for
collaboration across professions (careers) and value systems (cultures), as well as real-world examples of
how collaboration has supported effective, responsible land use planning. On Day 1, we will focus on land
use planning issues, while on Day 2, we will address more advanced Cultural Resource Management (CRM)
topics. Both days will include a keynote speaker and two series of shorter panel sessions ("posing problems"
in the morning, "seeking solutions" in the afternoon) culminating in a group Q&A/discussion. So, bring an open,
inquisitive mind and your burning questions!
Join us at the Suquamish Tribe's beautiful and inviting House of Awakened Culture for a two-day gathering that
will help you improve your technical skills while deepening your connection to why we do this work. Leave with
more tools for protecting cultural resources and sharing the important stories they tell.
OPENING KEYNOTE BY MATIKA WILBUR OF PROJECT 562:
Back by popular demand, Matika Wilbur, Swinomish/Tulalip photographer, will update us on her work-in-progress:
a new collection of images of contemporary American Indians from all 562 federally-recognized tribes in the
United States. Learn more about Matika and Project 562 at http://www.matikawilbur.com
MINI-WORKSHOP ON SEPA AND CULTURAL RESOURCES:
On Day 1, we will be exploring the connections between Land Use Planning and Cultural Resources by posing
relevant problems and seeking workable solutions. Join Ecology staff and local government practitioners as
we continue our discussion about the Washington State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) and how it relates to
cultural resource policies and practices. Bring your questions!
Collaborative Land Use Planning
Early Bird Registration Now Open - Visit www.theleadershipseries.info
Early Bird Rates - 1-Day: $150 | 2-Day: $245 (Special Rate Ends April 20, 2015)
Students: Email Mary Rossi at mkrossi at eppardvision.org for information about student rates
Thank You! To Our 2015 Sponsors to Date: