[OR_Archaeology] Kelly Derr PSU Presentation

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Mon Oct 5 13:59:17 PDT 2015

Fire as a Complex Social Practice: Indigenous Landscape Management in Western North America

Anthropogenic burning, a common landscape management practice used by small-scale societies, is a concept that has received renewed attention in light of catastrophic wildfire seasons. In order to understand why anthropogenic burning practices must be considered part of modern ecosystem management, I present the current understanding of anthropogenic fire in western North America and explore the role fire played in shaping not only landscapes but also the social fabric of small-scale societies. Using groups, such as the precontact Coast Salish, as a case study, I suggest that fire was a critical component of plant resource intensification and discuss how anthropogenic burning may have contributed to the emergence of social complexity in small-scale societies.

Location:   Smith Memorial Student Union 101, PSU Campus

This event is sponsored by PSU's Anthropology Student Association and is free & open to the public.

Please see the attached flyer for details.

--
Virginia L. Butler
Department of Anthropology