[OR_Archaeology] Archaeology Roadshow 2016

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Tue Nov 17 15:44:57 PST 2015

We're gearing up for the 5th  Archaeology Roadshow, set for Saturday, June 4, 2016, on Portland State University Campus.  This event is an opportunity for all of us that love archaeology and history to share our passion with the public-through creating simple hands-on exhibits that showcase our past-in our own backyard and beyond.  The public is learning more about the importance of local heritage and the many organizations and companies engaged in heritage research and stewardship.  And volunteers-students and professionals - are getting as much out of participating as the visitors. Promise!  See for yourself:   https://www.pdx.edu/anthropology/archaeology-roadshow

We invite you to be part of the Roadshow in any of these ways.

1)     Join the organizing committee.  We'll be meeting monthly until February, then twice-monthly as we approach the day.  We could use help with all manner of things--from publicity, to ways of approaching ethics , with fundraising, to developing better ways of creating effective and fun hands-on activities, to brainstorming about ways of attracting a broader demographic.  If you can't make the meetings but want to be part of this, let us know and we'll figure out a way to get you involved.
2)      Host an exhibit/activity:
a)      This year's theme:  "Archaeology of Dwellings."  We had a lot of fun with "Archaeology of Food" in 2015, but changing the theme each year lets the public know there are many lenses through which we can view our past; and that visitors can return each year and experience something new.
b)      To celebrate the 50 year anniversary of NHPA (National Historic Preservation Act).
c)       We'll be ready to help you--  brainstorm on an idea or connect you with volunteers to help "man" your booth at the Roadshow.
3)      Volunteer on the day.
4)      Become an event sponsor or make a donation to help keep this event free and open to the widest audience possible.  http://www.pdx.edu/anthropology/archaeology-roadshow
5)      Follow us on Facebook....  https://www.facebook.com/ArchaeologyRoadshowPDX
6)      Come on June 4, 2016 and bring your friends and neighbors.

Please register on-line if you are interesting in hosting an exhibit or volunteering (visit our webpage for the forms).

The Roadshow now has two part-time staff:  Lyssia Merrifield  and Jonathan Duelks.  Both have worked on the event for the past several years and will be able to help answer your questions.    Please contact us at archshow at pdx.edu<mailto:virginia at pdx.edu>.

Stay tuned,

Virginia Butler and the Archaeology Roadshow Organizing Committee

Department of Anthropology
Portland State University
Portland, OR 97207
503/725.3303<tel:503%2F725.3303>