[OR_Archaeology] McGovern Presentation

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Thu Feb 4 13:55:09 PST 2016

Hello folks--
As part of a NSF-sponsored workshop coming up at PSU,  we invited an internationally renown expert on Iceland archaeology and "big science" of human-environmental relationships --  to give a public presentation on Sunday night, February 7, from 7-9 pm on campus.

Tom McGovern (Hunter College, City College of New York) will present,

The Anthropocene in the North: Prospects, Potentials, and Threats

The Anthropocene refers to the time period when human activities began to greatly affect our planet.  Society faces huge challenges related to global climate change and smaller scale environmental problems. With our deep-time perspective, archaeology, allied historical sciences, and traditional knowledge can supply useful models and insights about past human strategies that evolved in the face of earlier environmental crises.   Recent results from fieldwork in the Faroe Islands and Iceland document long term human - animals - landscape --  interactions in the Viking Age and medieval periods and illustrate both near miss failures and success stories of sustainable resource use on the millennial scale.

Please note the location is different from our usual First Thur Talks:  Academic and Student Rec Center (ASRC, Room 001).
 1800 SW 6th Avenue (Between 5th and 6th Avenue, see the campus map :https://www.pdx.edu/campus-map

We realize this is taking place on Superbowl Sunday.  But please consider coming after the game is over (hey -- bring your guests!).  Should be plenty of free on-street parking.

I look forward to seeing you at the talk.

For more information about the Arctic Horizons project, head to our webpage:http://arctichorizons.org/

--
Virginia L. Butler
Department of Anthropology