[OR_Archaeology] Community archaeology on Sauvie Island: funding & outreach

Martin Plumer plum2 at pdx.edu
Thu Apr 7 16:14:56 PDT 2016

To whom it may concern,

For my thesis work at Portland State University I am conducting a
combination archaeology/ethnography project which explores the question,
"what is gained through community archaeology?" While part of this project
involves a couple days of community archaeological survey on Sauvie Island,
and a suite of interviews, another very important part of the project
consists of a *baseline survey of Portland area adults*. The survey
explores public knowledge of, and attitudes towards, archaeology, history,
and science in society. Ultimately the whole study will provide insight
into the mindset of the local public, the impacts of doing community
archaeology on those involved (including archaeologists!), and guidance for
similar future projects.

Currently I have some funding through the AOA to compensate survey
participants (increasing my range and frequency of response), but I am
seeking additional funding through the science-oriented crowdfunding
website Experiment.com to compensate more survey respondents. The link is:

https://experiment.com/projects/what-is-gained-through-community-science-a-case-study-from-sauvie-island-oregon

I am posting to this email list because I believe that the results of this
research may be of interest to many archaeologists in the state. The
Experiment.com page will not only allow you to learn more about the
project, but also lend a little financial support if desired. And of
course, my results once finished will be available by direct request, and
ultimately through Portland State's public scholarly database (
http://pdxscholar.library.pdx.edu/) as well.

Lastly, I am still in need of several volunteers from the lay public to
participate in the community field archaeology portion of the project on
Sauvie Island. I would appreciate your help in spreading the word, and feel
free to use the attached flyer to do so. Best regards,

Martin