[OR_Archaeology] PSU First Thursday Lecture

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Wed Sep 28 12:40:20 PDT 2016

Hello All--
We're gearing up for another great year of presentations at PSU, to showcase archaeology and heritage issues in the Pacific Northwest and beyond.  We have a preliminary program ready to share with you.   See attached.

The FIRST talk of the year is set for Thursday, Oct 6.

Danny Gilmour and Erik Hardman (Willamette Cultural Resources Associations, Ltd), will present:

"Early Holocene Archaeology of Oregon's Harney Basin"

Oregon's Harney Basin lies at the margin of the northern Great Basin and the southern Columbia Plateau. Paleoindian sites are known in the area, but typically consist of surface scatters of stemmed and occasionally fluted points found scattered across both lowland and upland settings. Few sites have undergone extensive excavation. In this paper, we present the results of recent archaeological investigations and integrate this information with existing excavation data to increase our understanding of early human use of the area. The data provide insights to the complexity of adaptations practiced by foraging groups as they responded to the shifting environmental conditions of the early Holocene and the shrinking of pluvial Lake Malheur.

This talk will take place in Smith Memorial Center, Room 236 at 4 pm.

These talks are sponsored by PSU Department of Anthropology and the Anthropology Student Association.   They are free and open to the public.  Please come and join us!

The First Thursday series is part of the Oregon Archaeology Celebration 2016.  We'll have posters and schedules for activities that are part of the celebration for you to have.

Looking forward to catching up with you on October 6!