[OR_Archaeology] ArchaeoThursday webinar December 8 at 12:00 PST

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Tue Dec 6 07:46:49 PST 2016

The next ArcheoThursday webinar will take place on Thursday, December 8th at 3 o'clock ET and will run from one to two hours. Retired National Park Service archeologist David Orr will discuss his Park Service career and the approach to historic site management and education he developed while working for NPS and as a faculty member at Temple University. Following the presentation we will have a question and answer session with the audience.

>From 1978-2003, David Orr served as a National Park Service Supervisory Archaeologist, mostly as the Regional Archaeologist for the Mid-Atlantic area. Dr. Orr's work took him to Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Jamestown, Valley Forge, Fort McHenry, Independence, City Point, Petersburg, and other parks. His research interests include such varied fields as military archaeology, urban historical archaeology, ceramics, Roman Pompeii and Roman religion, and popular culture. He is also interested in the management of archaeological and historic sites, firmly subscribing to the holistic approach to cultural history and research and the ancillary idea that excavation should be done publicly and interpreted aggressively. As an undergraduate (1963-64), he worked two summer field schools with the River Basin Surveys (Smithsonian Institution) on prehistoric sites in Iowa and South Dakota. He was then trained as a classical archaeologist, receiving a Ph.D. from the University of Maryland.

As a member of the American Civilization Department at the University of Pennsylvania from 1973-78, he fostered theoretical interests in American historical archaeology and material culture. In 2003 he joined the faculty of Temple University, initially as part of a cooperative agreement between the University and the National Park Service. There he quickly began to involve his students in historical archaeological investigations and projects including work at the archaeological site of a large African-American community called Timbuctoo in Northampton Township in New Jersey (founded 1826).

FOR ACCESS:
The presentation and discussion will be video-streamed for a national audience at the following link:
https://vtceastmeetme.nps.gov/mAS2uWYK9r Participants should test their connection early as a small plug-in is required on first use. [If a security alert appears please proceed to the webinar or see the attached instructions below]. Click the "join as guest" switch and enter a name and email address. Please make sure to turn off your computer's microphone and camera during the presentation. This can be done by clicking on the camera and mic icons when you join the presentation.

If audio is not available through your computer or bandwidth inadequate you can use this conference line to access the audio content of the presentation: 1-866-625-4251 passcode: 5321575 If you use the conference line, please remember to put your phone on mute during the presentation.

The webinar will be recorded. Details on how to view the recording will be sent in a future meeting.

--
Michael P. Roller, PhD
Archeologist, National Park Service