[OR_Archaeology] PSU First Thursday Lecture

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Fri Jan 27 13:59:47 PST 2017

Hello All--
Please join us on Thursday, February 2nd for Archaeology First Thursdays at PSU.

Don Pattee (Applied Archaeological Research) will present:

"A Changing Valley, a Changing People:  The Prehistoric Occupation of the Northern Warner Valley, Oregon"

Warner Valley (south-central Oregon) was occupied by pre-contact groups in the terminal Pleistocene (~11,000 radiocarbon years ago), but lifeways of the Paleoindian and Early Archaic eras are poorly understood.  Most research has focused on the southern valley and Middle and Late Archaic.  The Great Basin Paleoindian Research Unit (GBPRU) has filled gaps in understanding by conducting surveys in the northern parts of the valley; and synthesizing results from earlier work in the southern valley.  Changes in subsistence strategies, occupation intensity, and lithic technological organization occurred as reflected in site and stone tool attributes.

Our Feb 2 presentation will take place in Smith Center, Room 328/9 and begin at 4:00 pm.

It is free and open to the public.   Please share the attached flyer with your friends and neighbors.

We look forward to seeing you here!

Also note--- that our January First Thursdays that was cancelled due to inclement weather--has been rescheduled forThursday Feb 9, Cramer Hall 258.   I'll send an announcement about that next week.

--
Virginia L. Butler
Department of Anthropology