[OR_Archaeology] basic skills

Leland Gilsen lelandgilsen at msn.com
Mon Mar 20 07:03:10 PDT 2017

FYI: (sounds like a good class agenda)

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/04/professor-caveman/517815/

One of the reasons I recommend events like http://echoes-in-time.com/
especially for anthropology/archaeology students but also as a refreshed
hands-on experience for anyone with a background in anthro. In the
1890's and into WW I such basic skills were commonplace. As this country
became more urban and less rural, most of these skills were no longer
practiced. Now, people on see them as distorted bits on TV "reality"
shows and have no hands-on experience at all. Even modern hunters,
though they may gut an animal, do not know how to process all they throw
away, and often leave the butchering up to professionals. Basic survival
skills tend to be relegated to kids stuff done my scouts by the great
majority of the population, if they even participate as children. The
paranoidish "survival" movement is changing this a bit, but mostly with
pre-made "bugout" kits.

There is satisfaction in hands-on knowledge. It is good disaster
preparation or beings "lost in the woods" scenario... but a good
woodsman is never lost in the woods but is more often lost in the city!