[OR_Archaeology] Forum Creating Safety: Addressing Sexual Harassment and Assault in Archaeology

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Mon Mar 20 12:04:46 PDT 2017

*You do not need to be a member of SAA to submit a statement. We are trying to reach as much of the archaeology community as possible.

Dear SAA Community,

As you are probably aware, sexual harassment and assault are issues currently being addressed by those in the field sciences. To address sexual misconduct in archaeology, we are moderating the Forum Creating Safety: Addressing Sexual Harassment and Assault in Archaeology at this year's annual meeting. In preparation for the forum, and to ensure many voices and ideas are part of this important discussion, we would like your input in developing direct and practical steps that anyone - from individuals to institutions - can take to improve working conditions.  We would like your ideas in the form of clear and concise statements the length of a Twitter post (140 characters or less).  Statements may be submitted alone, with colleagues, or anonymously. Please note in your e-mail if you wish to remain anonymous.

These statements will be included in a rotating slideshow approximately 15 minutes before the forum begins. Please send all statements to mthies2 at ilstu.edu<mailto:mthies2 at ilstu.edu> or post them to our Twitter using @EthicalArchae.

Thank you for your attention to these issues.  We hope you will be part of this community discussion and attend the forum on March 30th, 2017 from 6:00 to 8:00 P.M. at the 82nd Annual Meeting in Vancouver.

Sincerely,

Meagan E. Thies, MS Candidate, Illinois State University

Ashley E. Jones, MA, RPA, Project Archaeologist, Raba Kistner