[OR_Archaeology] Archaeology Roadshow Volunteers

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Thu May 4 15:11:41 PDT 2017

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D2C4E8.BBDC27F0]
I am writing to invite you to volunteer for the PSU Anthropology Department's 2017 Archaeology Roadshow!  For those of you who are not familiar with our event, the Roadshow is a public outreach event that grew out of Dr. Virginia Butler's Public Archaeology class. What started small has grown into a large-scale event involving dozens of community partners including local tribes, state and federal agencies, CRM firms, non-profit companies, avocational groups, students, and educators.
Check out the video from last year to see what the Roadshow is all about.
https://vimeo.com/176414684
This year's theme -- "Archaeology of Travel and Trade" is designed to get visitors thinking about connections. From trade beads, to obsidian, to wagon trains, to railroads, these resources have stories to tell about the people who made and utilized them. The Archaeology Roadshow strives not only to nurture the public's natural fascination with archaeology by showcasing local history and prehistory, but also to forge stronger connections among individuals and organizations who are passionate about archaeological site stewardship and public education.

We're hosting our headline event on June 3rd, PSU Campus.  (10 am - 3 pm)

In the spirit of Travel and Trade, this year's Roadshow is going on the road to eastern Oregon's Harney County (Burns/Hines) on June 10th.  If you would like to volunteer for Harney County please register separately, and indicate if you will need accommodations (camping) or transportation.
What we need:   We need help with a variety of tasks day of, as well as set up the day before in Portland. Is there something that you are particularly skilled in? Are you an amateur photographer, or particularly good with flintknapping? Let us know in your volunteer application and we'll try to match you up with the best job for you!
If you want to volunteer, please register using our on-line form that you'll find on our main webpage:
https://www.pdx.edu/anthropology/archaeology-roadshow
Thanks for considering volunteering at this year's events.  You'll be glad you did!  Please email us if you have any questions (archshow at pdx.edu<mailto:archshow at pdx.edu> or the email listed above).

With kind regards,
Michelle North and The Archaeology Roadshow Planning Committee