[OR_Archaeology] Archaeological Permits on DSL Lands

POULEY John * OPRD John.Pouley at oregon.gov
Tue May 23 09:58:22 PDT 2017

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to send out a little reminder to some of the folks who are filling out archaeological permits for projects that are taking place on properties owned & managed by the Oregon Department of State Lands (DSL). Please be sure when your filling out the bottom of the applications 1st page where it says Surface Owner that you put the name of DSL's Agency Archaeologist there (currently Gary Curtis) and not the name of the land manger or proprietary coordinator you may happen to be working with at the time (see attachment). This will ensure that the Permit Application makes it to the DSL's archaeologist for review.

I mention this only because a couple of times in the past archaeological permits for work being done on DSL lands have gone to non-archaeological staff members in the DSL and it has caused some confusion as to what to do with the document.  Unfortunately instead of forwarding the permit on to DSL's Archaeologist as you would think one would be apt to do, the individual inevitably tries to review the permit, sign off on it and then return it back to SHPO without any participation or input from the agency's archaeologist.  I would like to prevent such occurrences from happening again in the future.  In the next Field below labeled Agency that has Management Control over the Project, one should type in the Oregon Department of State Lands and the name of DSL's Eastern Regional Manager (currently Nancy Pustis).

Thanks for helping me resolve this, I apologize if I've offended anyone!

Sincerely.

Gary Curtis

Gary A. Curtis MAIS, RPA
DSL Statewide Archaeologist