[Oregon_dwsp] FW: [Oregon-climate-and-health] Oregon's Drought and Our Health- FREE SKILLS TRAINING EVENT

Dubuisson Nadege nadege.dubuisson at state.or.us
Tue Jun 16 14:39:22 PDT 2015

[cid:image002.png at 01D0A83F.889E5BF0]<http://www.healthoregon.org/climatechange>

June 16, 2015    |     Oregon's Drought and Our Health

As summer approaches, Oregonians are preparing for unusually dry conditions. The majority of our counties are now in emergency drought status<http://www.oregon.gov/owrd/Pages/wr/drought.aspx>. The Public Health Division has pulled together a drought team and is coordinating risk communication with other State agencies. We're looking to our neighbors and learning from new resources such as the Water Crisis & Health<http://phasocal.org/water-initiative/> initiative of the Public Health Alliance of Southern California.

[http://www.theresourceinnovationgroup.org/storage/trans-resilience/TR%20logo5.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1422469942306]<https://edit-public.health.oregon.gov/HealthyEnvironments/climatechange/Documents/Transformational%20Resilience%20Workshop.pdf>Drought poses many potential health problems<https://public.health.oregon.gov/Preparedness/Prepare/Pages/PrepareForDrought.aspx>. Some health effects occur in the short-term and can be observed and measured. But the slow appearance and chronic nature of drought also results in longer-term, indirect health effects that are not always easy to anticipate. It can have effects not only our physical health, but also our mental health.  As we experience changes in the landscape, conflicts in water use, risks of income loss and displacement, and increased pressure on our food systems, communities are challenged to cope with the extra stress that drought can bring.

Next week, Oregon's Climate and Health Program<http://www.healthoregon.org/climatechange> will host a Brown Bag Lecture and Skills Training Workshop on Transformational Resilience<https://edit-public.health.oregon.gov/HealthyEnvironments/climatechange/Documents/Transformational%20Resilience%20Workshop.pdf>, an initiative that is working to prepare communities for the psychological, emotional, and social stresses generated by climate disruption.  The events are free and open to all.  We hope you will join us.

[6a00d8341bfbc053ef017c348f10c0970b-pi]
"To mitigate, prepare for, and thrive in the midst of the rising climate change-enhanced adversity, every organization and community will need a solid understanding of how chronic trauma and stress affect individuals and groups. They also need to understand how to enhance rather than undermine psychological and emotional resilience."

- Bob Doppelt, Director of The Resource Innovation Group<http://www.theresourceinnovationgroup.org/transformational-resilience/>

www.healthoregon.org/climatechange<http://www.healthoregon.org/climatechange>