[Oregon_dwsp] Opportunity for Free Well Assessment & Webinar for testing Labs

Dubuisson Nadege nadege.dubuisson at state.or.us
Fri Jul 1 08:04:55 PDT 2016

A few opportunities:

1. Opportunity for Free Well Assessment
Our partners in the RCAP network are seeking additional well owners to participate in a pilot test of a new private well assessment tool.

Well owners are often unaware of the possible causes of contamination to their water. Older wells may not be sealed properly near the surface or their source of water may be shallow and influenced by potential pollutant sources like feedlots, septic systems, and other land uses.

In partnership with an expert workgroup, we developed this assessment tool to provide a well owner with a comprehensive evaluation of the possible sources of contamination at or near their well. The tool is designed to be administered by water and environmental health professionals as a service to well owners. RCAP is currently working in roughly half of the states to complete 720 assessments by January 2017.

The assessment process will help a well owner understand the potential risks and vulnerabilities that might impact their drinking water. It considers site conditions, geology, land use practices, well construction, and maintenance to provide a well owner with a list of possible concerns, if any are found. Additionally, recommendations and best practices will be provided to help them keep their well and family safe from well contamination.

The assessments are free, but may be limited to certain geographic areas. To nominate a well for assessment (including your own), please send an email to sdwilson at illinois.edu<mailto:sdwilson at illinois.edu> with the following information:
Well Owner Name:
Well Owner Email:
Well Owner Phone:
Well Location:
Or, if you would like to learn more about it, give Steve a call at 217-333-0956.

2. What Water Testing Labs Need to Know about Private Wells
Wednesday, July 19, 2016 at 1PM CT
Co-hosted by PrivateWellClass.org and APHL
http://privatewellclass.org/lab-webinar

Do you receive questions from well owners that go beyond water quality? In this free 90-minute webinar training, hosted by The Private Well Class in collaboration with the Association of Public Health Laboratories, you'll learn the answers to the most common homeowner questions about groundwater and private wells, including:

Where can I learn more about well care?
Why do I even need to test my well water?
What do I do with my sample results?

Nadège Dubuisson, MPH, CHES
Public Health Educator
Public Health Division
nadege.dubuisson at state.or.us<mailto:nadege.dubuisson at state.or.us>
971-673-1213

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D10D96.C6B9DCE0][e943ecc8-5be2-4768-a17e-1b829b908afe]<https://www.facebook.com/OregonEPHT?ref=hl>[541aa3ae-22f4-4ed9-bfd4-35cb8d8633b6]<https://twitter.com/OregonEPHT>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee or it appears from the context or otherwise that you have received this email in error, please advise me immediately by reply email, keep the contents confidential, and immediately delete the message and any attachments from your system.