[Oregon_EPHT_News] Fwd: CDC Expands the National Environmental Public Health TrackingNetwork

Tara A CHETOCK tara.a.chetock at state.or.us
Wed Aug 25 09:12:53 PDT 2010

CDC Expands the National Environmental Public Health Tracking Network
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is funding another
state to participate in its National Environmental Public Health
Tracking Network (Tracking Network). Iowa now joins the 22 states and
New York City that already are tracking and reporting environment and
health data as part of the Tracking Network.
CDC*s funding enables the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) to
systematically collect environmental health data statewide. IDPH will
use this data within the state and also provide it to CDC for use in the
agency*s expanding nationwide environmental health surveillance system.

*We*re excited to be able to offer funding to Iowa to join the Tracking
Network. This is an important step in moving toward our goal of a
nationwide Environmental Public Health Tracking Network,* said Judith
Qualters, Ph.D., chief of CDC*s Environmental Health Tracking Branch.
*Participation from more states helps strengthen this innovative tool
and offers a more complete picture of our nation*s environmental
health.*
During Iowa*s first two years in the Tracking Network, IDPH will focus
on planning and capacity building. Iowa then is expected to implement
its statewide tracking network in 2012.
For more information, please visit the Tracking Network
athttp://www.cdc.gov/ephtracking.

Tara Chetock, MHA | Health Educator
Environmental Public Health Tracking Program
Oregon Public Health Division
Phone: 971.673.1496  |  E-mail: Tara.A.Chetock at state.or.us

Oregon EPHT: www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/epht/index.shtml