[ORMAP-Tech] Fall 2010 ORMAP Tech Group Agenda -- October 21, 2010

DEAN ANDERSON ANDERSON.DEAN at co.polk.or.us
Mon Oct 18 13:31:47 PDT 2010

Phil

Thanks for including my agenda items. I hope that these issues can be discussed quickly. My goal is to see if we can reach a consensus  and if not identify a process by which we can. Here is some background info.

5. ORMAP Tool Group Update (Status) - The tools committee met a couple of times this past month to review ArcMap 10. The initial review of ArcMap 10 is now complete.  We have established a number of benchmarks to move to ArcMap 10 as follows:
.
--> a: Tools Committee should be completed with testing of ArcMap10 and have initial (draft) updated tools by December  2010.
--> b: Sub-committee on map production created. The existing ma production tool, written in VBA, will not work in ArcMap10.1. Our goal is to have a new version by February/March of 2011.
--> c: Tools  Committee will develop a "generic" web based training for cartographers to occur in January/February of 2011.This training will give an overview of the generic tools and capabilities available in ArcMap 10.
--> d. The tools will be available as a general release in January of 2011.
--> e. Tools Committee is planning to provide "hands on" training in Salem, Eugene, and Bend in February.
--> f.  Please review the tools identified on the business plan. Is our guide for future development.

6. On-line Licensing (Discussion).  Polk County will be moving to an on-line licensing environment this coming year. This means that like several other counties such as Marion and Benton County, Polk County will no longer have fees and a signed license procedure to use/access our GIS data.   Attached are two documents that a) summarizes a study Dean complete to look into this issue and b) a sample draft agreement that Polk County will probably use.  My question to DOR is if this negates the need to do the cadastral license.
--> Attachment 1: WebAccesstoGISData.doc - A short review of procedures in place in Oregon.
--> Attachment 2: OnLineDataLicenseDraft2.doc - A draft on-line license that Polk County will use.

7. WMS Data Standards for Taxlots. Several counties will be moving to a new "open source" web mapping tool this year.  We have been testing how to share access to each others taxlot data using web services.  Now is a good time to agree on how to publish services. I would like to make the following proposal to the technical committee.

--> Proposal: Adopt WMS as the standard for publishing taxlot mapping services. The "WMS" is an open source standard that should meet our needs.  The standard is widely accepted, it is vendor neutral and allows for graphic viewing and identifying of taxlots by service consumers.

--> Proposal: Adopt the ORMAP cadastral standard (features and attributes joined) as our content standard for publishing WMS's.

8. Additional field for the exchange standard. Several counties will be moving to a new "open source" web mapping tool this year.  We have been testing how to link or move from one web site to another.  A simple way to do this is to include a field in the attribute table that could be used to store a link to another web site. The link could be also be used by DOR on their web site to transfer control from their web site directly to the county's web site.

--> Proposal: Expand the exchange standard to contain a field called "referencelink" that is 240 characters (or longer)  in length.
--> Proposal: The "referencelink" field could contain three optional values: a) a link to the county web site, b) a link to a metadata/disclaimer description or c) a link to go directly to that taxlot in the county web mapping site.

Please call me if you have any questions (503-623-0704).

Thanks

Dean

>>> MCCLELLAN Philip L <philip.l.mcclellan at dor.state.or.us> 10/18/2010 11:12 AM >>>
I've attached a copy of the agenda for this Thursday's tech group meeting (October 21, 2010). Also is attached a copy of the funding criteria document. I will also post a copy of the agenda on the ORMAP site later today.

http://www.ormap.org/directory.cfm?directory=committees\techgroup&sd=\agendas\2010

The meeting is scheduled for 10 AM - 3 PM at the Department's Salem Field Office. The agenda also includes the number for the teleconference.

Phil

***************CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE***************

This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee or it appears from the context or otherwise that you have received this email in error, please advise me immediately by reply e-mail, keep the contents confidential, and immediately delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Philip McClellan
ORMAP Project Coordinator
Oregon Department of Revenue
Property Tax Division - CDOT