[ORMAP-Tech] Map production tool for ArcMap10

Shad Campbell Shad.Campbell at deschutes.org
Tue Sep 20 09:37:26 PDT 2011

Hey Scott,
The current VBA version of the Map Production tool will continue to work in ArcMap 10.  We have also developed the next version of the Map Production tools which work using Python and those are available to use right now.  At this point however I would recommend staying with the VBA tools.  The new python tools are a bit slower and not as intuitive to install/configure.   If anyone else has anything to say about this please chime in.

At 10.1 (which will supposedly be released in January) ESRI will no longer support any VBA tools so we won't have a choice.  Also at 10.1 ESRI makes it REALLY easy to install/Configure the python tools.  So... again, my recommendation is to stay with the VBA tools until you plan to migrate to 10.1.

I do know that Deschutes, Lane, Polk, and Clackamas counties are using (or at least testing) the new python tools in 10.0 with success.  But as I mentioned installation and configuration was not very easy.

We have 10.1 beta installed at Deschutes County and I have already migrated the tools to work with it... so the Map Production tools be ready to go whenever it is released.   I hope to give a demo of the new 10.0/10.1 Map Production tools at the next ORMAP tech users group meeting.

-Shad

Shad Campbell
GIS Programmer
Deschutes County Information Technology