[OSFA] FW: Forum for Future Accounting Leaders

Oregon State Fiscal Association osfa at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Mon May 6 09:17:39 PDT 2019

Please see below.

Thank you,

Amy Tennimon
Fiscal Analyst - Shared Client Agencies
DAS Shared Financial Services
Phone: (503) 373-1606
Amy.M.Tennimon at oregon.gov<mailto:Amy.M.Tennimon at oregon.gov>

[DAS_SFS_h_logo_STATE-sm V4]

From: CAFR-Contacts-News <cafr-contacts-news-bounces at listsmart.osl.state.or.us> On Behalf Of HAMILTON Robert W * DAS via CAFR-Contacts-News
Sent: Monday, May 6, 2019 9:00 AM
To: cafr-contacts-news at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Subject: [CAFR-Contacts-News] Forum for Future Accounting Leaders

Are you an Accounting Technician or an Accountant 1, 2 or 3 with aspirations to one day become an Accountant 4 or an Accounting Manager?  If so, you're invited to the initial Forum for Future Accounting Leaders, which will be held Tuesday, May 28 at the ODOT Headquarters, Room B02, from 9 am - 11 am!

The intent of the Forum for Future Accounting Leaders is to pass along knowledge from the current accounting leaders in state government to those of the future.  This is an informal gathering in which attendees will be encouraged to ask a rotating panel of 4 to 5 current Accountant 4s or Accounting Managers about the processes they go through in their jobs.  This will also be a great chance to network with your peers as well as the panelists. If you come up with questions before the Forum, I would really appreciate you sending them to me so I can share them with the panel.  However, asking questions that arise during the Forum will also be encouraged.

The topic for this initial Forum of Future Accounting Leaders is year-end accruals.  We thought this would be a good topic given that year-end is just around the corner, it often involves the panelists, and there is variety on how different agencies handle year-end accruals.  That said, if you have interest in other topics, you are welcome to ask questions about those too.

While I will facilitate, the panelists for the May Forum will be:

*         Julie Orth, Accountant 4 at DHS/OHA

*         Rebecca Jasso, Financial Services Manager at OPRD

*         Joseph Flager, Accountant 4 at ODOT

*         Aaron Hunter, Controller at ODVA

If you are interested in attending, please be sure to obtain approval from your manager.  Due to concerns about room capacity, we may need to limit attendees by state agency, however, we will have a call in option (details to come) for those that are not able to attend in person.  We hope this room will accommodate the interest, but given that this is our first Forum, we're unsure of what to expect.  If you wish to be part of this Forum, either attending or calling in, please send me an email by Friday, May 24.

This is the first of what is intended to be an ongoing offering of the Financial Leadership Council (FLC), a consortium of state agency financial leaders in the accounting field.  Meetings will occur every other month, on the last Tuesday of the month.  Our hope is that people will be able to join us in person, but as noted earlier, a call in option will be available for those who are not able to (details to come).  Remaining Forums for 2019 are July 30, September 24, and November 26, all from 9 am - 11 am at the ODOT Headquarters, Room B02.

If you have any questions or comments, please reach out to me.  I would really appreciate any feedback.

We hope you find this valuable, and again, if any questions come to mind for the panelists before the Forum, please send them to me.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing everyone,

Rob

Robert W. Hamilton, CPA
Statewide Accounting and Reporting Services Manager
Chief Financial Office
Department of Administrative Services
Phone:  (503) 373-0299
http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/financial/acctng

Data Classification: Level 1 - Published