OSPS E-News ~ System Programming Enhancement Reductions

Fri Apr 3 09:16:50 PDT 2009

Hello Everyone,

System  Programming Enhancement Reduction for OSPS Effective April, 1,
2009

As the result of budget cuts effective April 1, 2009, State Controller's
Division lost resources that were assigned to perform system
enhancements to the statewide systems that we manage.  These are ongoing
cuts to our budget that will not be added back in the foreseeable
future.  OSPS has lost one full-time systems analyst.

How Will This Affect Our Customers?

OSPS will not be in a position to make enhancements to the Oregon
Statewide Payroll Application (OSPA).  For the foreseeable future, will
not be able to solicit suggestions from our system users and
stakeholders for improvements or changes to OSPA processes, screens,
reports or other outputs.  Instead, we will focus our remaining
programming resources on the maintenance of the OSPA to ensure timely
and accurate production of payrolls, fix known problems that could
affect production, and perform the tasks necessary to implement mandated
changes.

Mandated changes include, but are not limited to the following:

Implementation of federal or state payroll tax withholding changes

Changes required for implementation of a new PEBB plan year

Code or rate changes related to new or renegotiated collective
bargaining agreements.

Code sets required under federal and state family medical leave laws

Changes required as the result of statewide payroll policy decisions.

Changes prescribed by PERS

Focus on Core Services

We know that other agencies are experiencing similar challenges and
resource reductions so we are confident that you understand our need to
clearly focus on core services.  We believe that our plan will fairly
apply our remaining resources toward work  that benefits all of our
customers across all of the agencies.

Sharon McKeehan, Manager

Oregon Statewide Payroll Services

DAS/State Controller's Division