OSPS E-News ~ AccelaPay Text Messaging Alert

Thu Apr 30 11:48:33 PDT 2009

U.S. Bank has alerted us to a text messaging scam reported for a ReliaCard (the companion card to AccelaPay that the state uses for child support and unemployment payments). To our knowledge, it does not at this point involve AccelaPay cards. However, to be proactive we are sharing the information, in case you hear anything from employees.

The ReliaCard holder received a text message alert that stated "To reinstate your ReliaCard you need to call this number...."

U.S. Bank is including the following message on the April ReliaCard statements:
"Any email or text message that asks you to 'confirm,' 'verify,' or otherwise provide personal information,(also known as 'phishing')is a fraud. Legitimate companies, including U.S. Bank, will never ask you for sensitive account information such as your passwords, PIN numbers, social security number or account numbers via email, phone or text message. If you receive a communication that appears to be from U.S. Bank asking for this kind of information, do not respond. Immediately call customer service at the number listed on the first page of your statement."

Katherine Bremser
Training Coordinator
Oregon Statewide Payroll Services
State Controller's Division