OSPS E-News ~ OSPS Furlough Management Project

Wed Sep 2 10:24:51 PDT 2009

This communication is intended to provide an overview of the OSPS
project to help agencies manage furlough or Mandatory Unpaid Time Off
(MUTO) through OSPA.  This is an initial look at our project and what is
"in scope".    We will provide more detail as we progress as well as
task timelines.  Watch for future updates.

Accruing Furlough Obligation

Using the business rules defined in collective bargaining agreements and
HRSD rules, OSPS will accrue employee furlough obligation into the Leave
Accrual and Reporting System (LARS) so that all employees start the
furlough period with a beginning balance.    During the furlough period
of September 1, 2009 through June 30, 2011 we will also load furlough
obligation for new hires.

Forecast "LA" to Timesheets For Office Closure Days

Using the existing holiday structure in OSPA, and functioning  much the
same as holiday functions, we will post the fixed closure days to
timesheets.  We can perform this only on the paper timesheets that are
printed from OSPA and the screens of Online Daily Time.

If your agency operates an agency-specific timekeeping system or if you
create paper or electronic timesheets in some other format, we will not
be able to have any affect on the timekeeping tools you use.

Reporting

This element of the project will report from OSPA the savings related to
furlough time taken.  This will be a quarterly report that will
supplement the reporting that comes out of LARS.

Excess Vacation Accumulation

We will create a holding code for vacation accumulations in excess of
350 when the 425 accrual maximum for management service ends January 1,
2010.  The holding code will retain the excess hours and the balance
will reduce as the hours are used.  There will not be companion codes
for payment as this leave has no cash value.  At June 30, 2011 we will
zero-out the balances.

The OSPS Forum on September 17 will include discussion of furlough
processing.  We hope you all will be able to attend to join the
discussion.

September 17 (1:00 pm to 4:00 pm)
OSPA User Forum (no registration necessary)
Veterans Affairs Auditorium
700 Summer Street NE, Salem