OSPS E-News ~ Furlough Update: VF Extra Vacation Leave

Fri Apr 9 08:41:08 PDT 2010

VF Vacation Hours - Background
In January we communicated about the procedures for tracking vacation in
excess of 350 hours earned by management service employees during 2009
when the limit had been increased to 425.  This bank of vacation was
related to the requirement to take furlough hours.  In January it was
moved to a secondary vacation bank with an expiration date of 6/30/2013.
The hours are logged as "VF" when taken.  There is no cash value to
these hours and they are not paid out upon termination or for any other
reason.

Transfer Clarification
OSPS was recently asked if the hours move with an employee if they move
to another agency.  Yes, the hours are transferrable.  However, these
hours cannot be moved to the clearing screen.

During the furlough management project, we allocated programming hours
to the tasks that met the highest payroll need.  Because the VF vacation
bank affects less than 2% of state employees, we chose to not automate
VF hours transfer and these are manual transactions.

Adjustment Procedure
When you need to process a transfer of an employee who holds a bank of
VF hours, communication between the sending and receiving agency is key.
The sending agency must notify the receiving agency of the hours to be
transferred.  Then, both will process the necessary adjustments.

*	The sending agency will notify the receiving agency of the
number of hours that follow the employee.  The sending agency will then
process a transaction in the P435 screen to adjust the VF balance to
zero.
*	The receiving  agency will process an adjustment to acquire the
VF hours via the P435 screen documenting the transaction with the
notification from the sending agency.  The hours will remain in the VF
vacation bank until taken, expired or transferred to another agency.

Oregon Statewide Payroll Services Staff
DAS State Controller's Division
Phone:  (503)378-6777     Fax:  (503)378-3518
OSPS Help Desk:  mailto:OSPS.Help at das.state.or.us

Visit Our Online Resource Center: http://oregon.gov/DAS/SCD/OSPS