OSPS E-News ~ Payroll Datamart Security Project

Tue Apr 13 07:58:58 PDT 2010

________________________________

From: WALLACE Aaron * SCD SARS
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:35 AM
To: datamart-news at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Subject: OSPS Security Project

This is to announce the completion of a project intended to establish an
additional layer of controls over the access of payroll data through the
payroll tables in the Datamart. This project introduces new data view
controls based on user approved access for a specific agency or group of
agencies. The controls are intended to ensure a straight line from the
access levels approved for the user to the actual views granted.

A project team consisting of SARS, OSPS and technical support from DAS
Operations' Information Systems and Service section have completed a
project that included planning, research, programming and testing and
will implement the new controls effective April 22, 2010.

The project team has configured access for each current payroll Datamart
approved user based on the user's specific agency and/or known agency
groups. After implementation, all new requests for Datamart access will
have to specify (a) accounting data only, (b) payroll data only or (c)
accounting AND payroll data and specify if access to a group of agencies
is needed.  Otherwise, access will be granted for the home agency only.

We believe that we have accurately captured all of the known agency
groups and appropriate access levels. These changes should be seamless
to users. However, if you find that you are in need of additional access
that wasn't considered when the new controls were implemented, please
security officers to grant additional access or to request that SARS
configure additional agency groups.

The security over Information Systems is addressed in:

*      ORS 182.122 Information Systems Security

*      Oregon Accounting Manual  Chapter 10 Internal Control - 10.70.00
Security Access to Financial Systems

I would like to thank all the staff who participated in this project; we
believe it will be a great success.

Thanks,

Aaron Wallace

Sr. Datamart Business Analyst