OSPS E-News ~ FW: Insurance Subsidy for Low Salaried Employees

Thu Dec 29 10:19:41 PST 2011

Good morning,

The below message is being forwarded on behalf of DAS HRSD Labor Relations.

Note from OSPS:  We are working on updating OSPA to include part-time, seasonal, and intermittent employees, along with the full-time employees already set up, for processing of the $30 or $40 agency-paid subsidies per the interpretation provided this week by LRU.

Thank you,

Sandy Ridderbusch

-----Original message-----

From: PERRY Tom S * HRSD LRU <Tom.S.Perry at das.state.or.us>
Sent: Thu, Dec 29, 2011 01:19:27 GMT+00:00
Subject: Insurance subsidy for low salaried employees; $30/$40

This is an advance notification of a glitch in the running of December, 2011 payroll paid January 2, 2012.

Problem:  The application of the $30 and $40 subsidies for low salaried employees was not computed in the paychecks for part time employees buying up to full time insurance.  The Letter of Clarification for Part time Employees, signed 11-21-11 for SEIU, in Section 2 required an interpretation from LRU for two issues that were not identified in time to run payroll.  Accordingly, part time employees buying full time insurance will likely have a lower net pay than they should.

Solution:  The interpretations from LRU have been supplied to OSPS, and adjustment instructions will be sent to agency payroll offices in early January, 2012.  Agencies will be able to make the appropriate adjustments to the limited number of employees to whom this issue applies, and they will receive their additional amounts in the second run of December, 2011 payroll run in January, 2012.

We anticipate that employee representatives may receive a number of telephone calls as a result of this issue.  Please know that we addressed this issue as soon as it became known.  We apologize for the inconvenience to employees, payroll staff and employee representatives alike.

Thomas Perry
Interim Labor Relations Unit Manager
DAS, HRSD, Labor Relations Unit
(503) 378-4201