OSPS E-News ~ December Terminations - Tips & Reminders

Mon Dec 2 15:25:47 PST 2013

Payroll Professionals,

December terminations require special handling to ensure their wages are posted to the proper tax year.  Here are a few quick tips to help you make the right decisions at year end.  See our full year end process guide<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/EGS/FBS/OSPS/docs/pubs/process/ProcessYearend.pdf> online for more detail.

Termination or Transfer?
If your employee is leaving state service, s/he is terminating.  These wages need to reflect in the 2013 tax year.  Set P010 final check dates for December.  You cannot set P010 dates for transferring employees in the month of December.

NOTE:  In order to set December final dates on P010, your personnel shop must enter the terminating PA.  If they haven't done so by the time you order your final check, set up a pending folder so you can keep checking for when they do.  If personnel has not finalized the termination PA by December Run 1 prelim (12/23/13), send the EINs and final dates to the OSPS Help Desk for processing.  We will process them for you and notify your personnel shop of our intervention.

Check for Annual Maximums
For employees terminating in December, you may need to hand-adjust deductions that have an annual maximum.  OSPA normally calculates December into the new tax year, so it will not alert you to conditions that would cause an overpayment for annual limit deductions such as OSGP, FSAs, and the Social Security wage base limit, to name a few examples.

Capture Taxable Expense Reimbursements
Work with your accounting section and affected employees to capture all taxable reimbursements at year end.

Thanks,

Seth Lewis
Senior System Analyst
DAS/EGS/FBS/Oregon Statewide Payroll Services
503.373.0259 - direct
503.378.3518 - fax
seth.lewis at state.or.us<mailto:seth.lewis at state.or.us>
Visit Our Online Resource Center:  State of Oregon: Oregon Statewide Payroll Services<http://cms.oregon.egov.com/DAS/EGS/FBS/OSPS/Pages/index.aspx>