OSPS E-News ~ Sick Leave for Temporary Employees (TS)

Tue Dec 1 12:49:25 PST 2015

Payroll Professionals,

Beginning January 1, temporary employees who are employed by the state will be eligible to earn and use sick leave.  The new leave code for temporary sick leave will be TS.

We are waiting for DAS-CHRO to publish the draft policy around temporary sick leave, however we wanted to get the information we do have out to you.

*         Temporary employees who were hired prior to January 1, 2016 will be eligible to utilize sick leave once time has been accrued with no waiting period. (leave accrued in January can be used in February)

*         Temporary employees hired on or after January 1, 2016 will have a ninety (90) day waiting period before utilizing accrued sick leave.

*         The maximum use is forty (40) hours per calendar year (January 1 - December 31).  Leave accrued but not used will transfer to the next calendar year.  Leave used for the calendar year will zero out with the December leave accrual updates (LARS) in January.

*         Employees who separate with a sick leave balance will have the leave transferred into the clearing account for 180 days.  If the employee returns within that 180 day period, the sick leave balance is reinstated.  If it is 181 days or greater, the sick leave is not reinstated.

*         Employees in a permanent or limited duration position who separate from state service and return as a temporary employee will have their sick leave reinstated as TS. The exception is for PERS Tier 1 or Tier 2 members who elect to use their sick leave in their retirement calculation.

*         Agency payroll staff will need to calculate sick leave hours for temporary employees who go from a temporary position to a permanent or limited duration positon and are entitled to sick leave accruals for the hours worked as a temporary employee per policy or CBA.  These employees will be credited for the difference between what they earned as TS and what they would have earned as SL.   Temporary employees with a TS balance that move to a permanent or limited duration position will have the hours converted to Sick Leave (SL).

Once the Statewide policy is in place we will provide that information.

Thanks,

OSPS

Help Desk: OSPS.Help at oregon.gov<mailto:OSPS.Help at oregon.gov>
OSPS Online Resource Center: http://oregon.gov/DAS/EGS/FBS/OSPS/