OSPS E-News ~ FW: New PERS member engagement effort, HR/benefits volunteers wanted for focus group

Thu Mar 16 08:24:14 PDT 2017

Hello,

The following is being forwarded on behalf of the Centralized PERS Team.

From: DAS_Centralized_PERS_Services_Team [mailto:das_centralized_pers_services_team-bounces at listsmart.osl.state.or.us] On Behalf Of TOBIASSON Shauna M * DAS
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:22 AM
To: das_centralized_pers_services_team at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Cc: CARSON Dean <dean.carson at state.or.us>
Subject: [DAS_Centralized_PERS_Services_Team] New PERS member engagement effort, HR/benefits volunteers wanted for focus group

Hello all - please see the message below from Dean Carson, PERS' new member Engagement and Communications Director. Dean and Oregon Savings Growth Plan Manager, Roger Smith will be speaking at our April 12 OSPS Forum.

---

Hello HR and Payroll staff,

PERS is working to improve our member communication efforts and would welcome your suggestions about resources you need and how we can best reach your staff.

PERS wants to provide simpler and better tools, resources, and education to help members understand their benefits and the need to financially prepare for retirement over their entire career. We want to help members understand the need to supplement their PERS retirement, including through deferred compensation plans (like the Oregon Savings Growth Plan<http://www.oregon.gov/pers/osgp/Pages/index.aspx>) and/or personal savings.

OSGP Program Manager Roger Smith and I will be at your OSPS Forum on April 12, but I wanted share my contact information and gather initial feedback so I can tailor my presentation to what most interests you. I'll give an update on some of the projects we're working on, but I want to hear your ideas on how we can improve PERS member engagement and give you the tools you need to best serve your staff, as well as recruit and retain employees.

If you handle retirement benefits at your agency, are interested in being part of an informal focus group, and/or have direct feedback, please email me at dean.carson at state.or.us<mailto:dean.carson at state.or.us?subject=PERS%20feedback%20from%20state%20agency>. If you're interested in joining the focus group, I may send emails to get input on PERS toolkits or communication resources, and may gather some of the group in person to learn from you in the future.

Some specific things we're interested in:

*         What questions do you get most often from your staff? What could we better explain to you and your staff?

*         What PERS resources do you currently provide? Do you send all staff directly to PERS (either to our website www.oregon.gov/PERS<http://www.oregon.gov/PERS> or by calling Member Services at 888-320-7377), or do you answer questions directly? If you answer questions directly, what training or support do you most need from us?

*         Have you scheduled a group education session to go over PERS benefits at your agency? If not, how do you share information about group education sessions for your staff?

Thank you for your input. I look forward to meeting you in person April 12.

Sincerely,

Dean Carson
Member Engagement & Communications Director
Oregon Public Employees Retirement System
503-431-8941
dean.carson at state.or.us<mailto:dean.carson at state.or.us>