OSPS E-News ~ FW: OAM 50.20.00, Moving Expenses out for comment

Wed Mar 7 14:37:54 PST 2018

Forwarded on behalf of DAS CFO...

From: HAMILTON Robert W * DAS
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 1:05 PM
To: cafr-contacts-news at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Cc: LEWIS Seth * DAS <Seth.LEWIS at oregon.gov>
Subject: OAM 50.20.00, Moving Expenses out for comment

Hello CAFR Contacts,

In light of the recent federal tax changes, SARS and Oregon Statewide Payroll Services (OSPS) have updated OAM 50.20.00 Moving Expenses. Highlights of the proposed changes include:

*         Moving expense reimbursements are now generally taxable, unless the move is made by a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and the move is pursuant to a military order and incident to a permanent change in station.

*         We're no longer separately identifying the eligible moving expenses - two HR policies already cover the topic, as referenced in the OAM.

*         We've combined the policy and procedure components, as has been our recent practice.

*         Though the codes are still active, we've no longer included reference to the specific payroll codes.

*         The currently effective OAMs are from 1994 (PO) and 2000 (PR), though the OAM website states that the current policies are from 2009.  I could not locate any updates to 50.20.00 PO or PR since 1994 and 2000, respectively.  We've updated the OAM website to reflect the accurate dates.

Here is a link to the exposed OAM: http://www.oregon.gov/das/Financial/Acctng/Documents/50.20.00%20Moving%20Expenses.pdf

The comment period closes at the end of the day on Wednesday, March 21.

Please direct any comments to me.

Thank you,

Rob

Robert W. Hamilton, CPA
Statewide Accounting and Reporting Services Manager
Chief Financial Office
Department of Administrative Services
Phone:  (503) 373-0299
http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/financial/acctng

Data Classification: Level 1 - Published