OSPS E-News ~ W-2 Questions

Fri Jan 31 10:36:12 PST 2020

Hello,

We have been receiving a high volume of questions regarding W-2s.  You can direct them to the 2019 Guide to understanding your W-2s found here: https://www.oregon.gov/das/Financial/Payroll/Documents/Guide%20To%20Understanding%202019%20W-2.pdf

Some of the commonly asked questions are:

1.       Q: My taxable income and Social Sec Subj wages and Medicare Subj Wages do not match?

A:  Pretax PEBB deductions, pretax parking deductions, Employee paid PERS contributions, and Def Comp are not subj to FIT and SIT, however Employee paid PERS contributions and Def Comp are both subj to Social Security and Medicare taxes.

2.       Why is my year to date on my pay stub not the same as taxable income on my W-2?

A:  Typically, the EE is comparing their gross income on the paystub to the taxable income field on the W-2.  Gross pay amount are all wages before taxes are deducted.  Taxable income (box 1) on the W-2 is gross income minus pretax PEBB deductions, pretax parking deductions, Def comp, and EE paid PERS contributions.

Thank you,

Vangie Barizo
Accountant