[OSSSA218] Fwd: IRS Event Updates and Headliners for May

Karen PARK karen.park at state.or.us
Mon May 23 07:42:35 PDT 2011

FYI

Karen Park

Oregon State Social Security Coordinator
Oregon PERS
503 603-7633
karen.park at state.or.us

SL2

Please note my office hours are Monday thru Thursday 6 am to 4:30 pm

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: All information in this email, including
attachments, is approved solely for delivery to and authorized use by
intended recipients. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction
of this message and/or any of its attachments by unintended recipients
is not authorized and may be unlawful. If  you are not an intended
recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended
recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then
delete it from your system.

>>> "Marshall KayDel D" <KayDel.Marshall at irs.gov> 5/19/2011 3:40 PM

Dear Business Organization:

Here are the latest IRS News Releases and Headliners to distribute to
your small business members.  I hope that the information will be
helpful and we encourage publication in your association's magazines,
newsletters, email distributions and/or website.

Below are summaries and links to the most recent headliners and news
releases your members might be interested in.  The title and summary are
designed to give you a brief overview of the article's content -- the
link to the full article is at the end of each summary. I encourage you
to use any or all of these in newsletters or emails to your members, or
on your web site.

We are updating our Stakeholders with Tax Center links, and I would
appreciate it if you would let me know if your organization has a link
to our irs.gov Tax Centers on your web site.  If you do, please send me
the link.  Also, if you would like to have a Tax Center link (which is
easy to place, and you don't ever have to update because we maintain the
site your link goes to), let me know and I will send you the link to
enhance the usefullness of your web site.  We have Tax Centers for many
different industries and professions, or you can just do a link to the
Tax Center page.  Take a look at:
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/industries/index.html

If someone else in your organization is a more appropriate contact
point for these types of emails, please let me know.  And if you do not
want to receive future emails like this one, please reply and request
your name be removed.
  KayDel
KayDel Marshall
Senior Stakeholder Liaison
Small Business & Self-Employed C/L/D
100 S.W. Main Street, Suite 1200
Portland, Oregon 97204
ID#1000843166

503-415-7141/503-473-3694
Got Tax Questions?  Watch Videos & Get Answers on the IRS Video Portal

http://www.irsvideos.gov/
Connect with the IRS (
http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTEyNDM1NjAmbWVzc2FnZWlkPVBSRC1CVUwtMTI0MzU2MCZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTEyNzY1ODE3NTQmZW1haWxpZD1raW0uYm95YWNrQGlycy5nb3YmdXNlcmlkPWtpbS5ib3lhY2tAaXJzLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&110&&&http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=227226,00.html
)through YouTube, Twitter and other social media channels to spread the
word about important tax information.
Announcements & Upcoming Events:

Webinar June 22, 2011, 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time, The Examination Process
for Employment Tax Returns .   Viewers will learn from IRS and industry
experts what to expect from an employment tax examination including
information about:
Examination process
Statute of limitations
Examination results
Taxpayer and appeal rights
Settlement agreements and payment options

Panelists for this webinar are IRS representatives Anita Bartels,
program manager, Employment Tax Compliance Policy, and Ed Hutzmann,
senior policy analyst, Employment Tax Compliance Policy, and industry
representatives Cecily Welch, senior tax manager, S.J. Gorowitz
Accounting and Tax Services, and Michael Lloyd, Law firm of Miller and
Chevalier.
Viewers can register online (
http://www.irs.gov/app/scripts/exit.jsp?dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.visualwebcaster.com%2FIRS%2F78923%2Freg.asp%3Fid%3D78923
)anytime before the program and download a calendar reminder. This
broadcast is scheduled for 60 minutes, and a Certificate of Completion
will be offered. Enrolled agents receive one CPE credit. Other tax
professionals may receive credit if the broadcast meets their
organization or state CPE requirements.

9th Annual Employment  & Business Fair  - Tuesday, June 28, 2011 -
Time: 1:30 PM - 5:00 PM - Place: Oregon Convention Center - 777 NE
Martin Luther King Jr., Blvd. - Portland, OR 97232 - Cost: Free to the
Public! - Sponsor: American Family Insurance & Hispanic Metropolitan
Chamber of Commerce.
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=wnxgmvcab&et=1104607823012&s=2945&e=001E5rsol9eU7FxGz1nnkpUO8K0mdzUOe-c7hGIfVD8p2DopEp5GKGFSIcZRrST8_470X8oXPDBVb3Xi8M3ujrhhrlniVlF1z13LkTuSk8hmoOLQwYwxg5d_ep_zTojUmxk&&&http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=wnxgmvcab&et=1104607823012&s=2945&e=001E5rsol9eU7FxGz1nnkpUO8K0mdzUOe-c7hGIfVD8p2DopEp5GKGFSIcZRrST8_470X8oXPDBVb3Xi8M3ujrhhrlniVlF1z13LkTuSk8hmoOLQwYwxg5d_ep_zTojUmxk
 (
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=wnxgmvcab&et=1104607823012&s=2945&e=001E5rsol9eU7FxGz1nnkpUO8K0mdzUOe-c7hGIfVD8p2DopEp5GKGFSIcZRrST8_470X8oXPDBVb3Xi8M3ujrhhrlniVlF1z13LkTuSk8hmoOLQwYwxg5d_ep_zTojUmxk&&&http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=wnxgmvcab&et=1104607823012&s=2945&e=001E5rsol9eU7FxGz1nnkpUO8K0mdzUOe-c7hGIfVD8p2DopEp5GKGFSIcZRrST8_470X8oXPDBVb3Xi8M3ujrhhrlniVlF1z13LkTuSk8hmoOLQwYwxg5d_ep_zTojUmxk
),
For booth pricing & informationplease e-mail Gale Castillo at:
gcastillo at hmccoregon.com.
Nation Association of Counties Annual Conference in Portland Seeks
Volunteers - July 15-19, 2011, Over 3,000 county officials, representing
80% of the nation’s population, will be in Portland, Oregon for the 76th
Annual National Association of Counties (NACo) Conference. We need
volunteers to help make the conference a successful and memorable
experience for our visitors. We will provide you with everything you
need to volunteer, including training, t-shirt and food. All volunteers
are invited to attend Sunday's Conference Wide Event called "Sunday in
the Park Blocks ( http://web.multco.us/naco2011/conference-wide-event )"
and the Inaugural Reception on Tuesday evening. For more information,
please visit http://web.multco.us/naco2011 or contact Theresa Sullivan
at theresa.a.sullivan at multco.us
Federation of Philippine American Chambers of Commerce (FPACC)
Bi-National Convention and Trade Show, August 18 - 20, 2011,  The Hilton
Portland & Executive Tower,  921 Southwest Sixth Avenue, Portland,
Oregon, 97204.  Contact:   Lorelei Hosmillo, Business Coordinator,
Philippine American Chamber of Commerce of Oregon (PACCO),
leihosmillo at msn.com.  Convention Information Site:
http://www.fpaccpdx.org/Mainscreen.aspx
Oregon Small Business Forum August 23, 2011 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00
Noon at the Oregon Association for Minority Entrepreneurs (OAME), 4134
N.Vancouver, Portland, Oregon.  The focus area topic chosen for this
FREE August Forum is, "Knowing HR Compliance Issues to Stay Out of
Trouble,"  including such issues as BOLI requirements, Benefits
Compliance, Law Changes, and Employee vs. Independent Contractor.  As
always, the focus area topic is followed by an informal roundtable
discussion where the agencies present will have an opportunity to
explain the services and products they have available to enhance the
success of small business in Oregon.  Mark your calendars now to reserve
this date.

Oregon Small BusinessFair, September 24, 2011, Ambridge Event Center,
1333 NE MLK Blvd, Portland, Oregon 97232.  NOTE: Venue has changed/No
longer at Oregon Convention Center.    This is a FREE event for new and
start up small business with exhibitor booths and four workshops each
hour throughout the day. For exhibitor or other information, contact
Linda.E.Repp at state.or.us ( blocked::mailto:Linda.E.Repp at state.or.us
).

Mercy Corps Northwest has several small business trainings coming up.
Check at  it out at:
http://www.mercycorpsnw.org/what-we-do/classes-and-events/

IRS Updates & News Releases:

May 16-20 Is Small Business Week
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=239497,00.html?portlet=7
During Small Business Week, the Internal Revenue Service encourages
those who are self-employed or own a small business to take advantage of
certain tax breaks and learn about IRS resources that can help them meet
their federal tax obligations.

One of the best ways to get information is by visiting the Small
Business Tax Center ( http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/index.html )
where you can learn everything from how to get an Employer
Identification Number (EIN) online to how to best navigate an audit.
Small business owners can also learn what’s available to them by
participating in one of the IRS’s webinars (
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=166814,00.html ).

There are many tax-saving opportunities available:
Small Business Health Care tax credit (
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=223666,00.html ):This
credit, specifically intended for those who employ low- and
moderate-income workers, aims to help small employers provide health
insurance coverage to their employees for the first time or maintain
coverage. More information is available on the Affordable Care Act (
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=220809,00.html ) page.

Faster write-offs on certain capital expenditures:Many small businesses
that invest in new property and equipment can deduct most or all of
these purchases on their 2011 returns. Normally, businesses recover
capital investments through annual depreciation deductions spread over
several years. But many small businesses can get these deductions sooner
during 2011. Claim these tax benefits on Form 4562 (
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4562.pdf ). Special rules and
limitations apply. Details can be found in the instructions to Form 4562
( http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i4562.pdf ), Publication 946 (
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p946.pdf ) and Revenue Procedure
2011-26 ( http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rp-11-26.pdf ).

Treasury, IRS Seek Public Input on Certain Employer Provisions of the
Affordable Care Act
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=239023,00.html
The Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service have requested
public comment on issues relating to the shared responsibility
provisions included in the Affordable Care Act that will apply to
certain employers starting in 2014.  Under the Affordable Care Act,
employers with 50 or more full-time employees that do not offer
affordable health coverage to their full-time employees may be required
to make a shared responsibility payment.  The law specifically exempts
small firms that have fewer than 50 full-time employees. This provision
takes effect in 2014.  Notice 2011-36 (
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-11-36.pdf ) solicits public input
and comment on several issues that will be the subject of future
proposed guidance as Treasury and the IRS work to provide information to
employers on how to comply with the shared responsibility provisions.
In particular, the notice requests comment on possible approaches
employers could use to determine who is a full-time employee.

Recent Articles from e-News for Small Businesses

IRS Live webinar: the examination process for employment tax returns
The June 22 IRS Live (
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=239163,00.html )
broadcast will cover the employment tax examination process, taxpayer
rights, settlement agreements and payment options.

Webinar: how international issues impact employee plans
How the IRS focus on international tax compliance will affect
retirement plans is the topic for a May 26 webinar (
http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTEwNDI3LjEwOTE4MzEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTEwNDI3LjEwOTE4MzEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xMjc2ODA4MzkyJmVtYWlsaWQ9a2FyaS5zLmdpbGplQGlycy5nb3YmdXNlcmlkPWthcmkucy5naWxqZUBpcnMuZ292JmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&124&&&http://www.visualwebcaster.com/IRS/79103/reg.asp?id=79103
).

Miss getting that paper form in the mail as a reminder to file?
IRS.gov offers several options to ensure you don’t miss important
filing dates.
Install ( http://www.tax.gov/irscalendarconnector ) and customize the
IRS CalendarConnector and new events will automatically update via the
desktop tool.
Or subscribe to the IRS tax calendar (
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=176080,00.html ):
§         Using Outlook 2007 (
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=208005,00.html )
§         Using iCal (
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=207945,00.html )
§         Import the calendar into Outlook 2003 (
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=213992,00.html )

Subscribe to e-News for Small Businesses
If you would like to receive e-News for Small Businesses, please visit
this link to subscribe:
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/content/0,,id=154826,00.html

Recommend e-News for Small Businesses
If you already receive e-News for Small Businesses, you can share it
with a business acquaintance, colleague or employee. Just forward this
link ( http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/content/0,,id=154826,00.html
) to them to view a sample edition and subscribe.