[OSSSA218] My absence and [Payrolltax-News] Payrolltax news LISTSERV June 2011

Karen PARK karen.park at state.or.us
Tue May 31 08:23:09 PDT 2011

Good morning,

I'm passing along the information below as an FYI.

Also, I wanted to let you know I will be away from the office for an undetermined time (six weeks to two months) to attend to the needs of my husband during and after surgery.

As in the past I will checking my e-mails and voice mails, Monday through Thursday.  Please copy Pamella Johnson on all of your e-mails, pamella.johnson at state.or.us , 503 598-3533. She will be able to reach in urgent matters by phone.

You may also contact as always Tim Beard (SSA) and Lori Stieber (IRS) with the appropriate questions. See their contact information below.

Tim Beard
tim.beard at ssa.gov
206 615-2125

Lori Stieber
lori.a.stieber at irs.gov
503 587-3149

Karen Park

Oregon State Social Security Coordinator
Oregon PERS
503 603-7633
karen.park at state.or.us

SL2

Please note my office hours are Monday thru Thursday 6 am to 4:30 pm

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: All information in this email, including attachments, is approved solely for delivery to and authorized use by intended recipients. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful. If  you are not an intended recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.

>>> TAVARES Cathleen M <cathleen.m.tavares at dor.state.or.us> 5/27/2011 9:06 AM >>>

Payrolltax News LISTSERV
June 2011

Please provide this information to anyone who might benefit from it.

I. Information from the IRS:

The IRS is now providing information on retirement plans ranging from choosing one for your company to answering frequently asked questions on taking money out of your plan – all for free!

The Retirement News for Employers Newsletter is an electronic newsletter with retirement plan information for business owners and their tax advisors. We encourage you to use our articles in your own newsletters. They provide reliable information and save you the trouble of creating your own content on current retirement plan topics.

Some of their recent articles include:
     **Fixing Common Plan Mistakes - presents common mistakes found in retirement plans and explains how to find it, fix it and prevent it from happening again. Examples of mistakes featured in past editions include “Failure to Obtain Spousal Consent,” and “Vesting Errors in Defined Contribution Plans.”
     **We’re Glad You Asked! - Answers retirement plan questions from employers like you.
**Timing is Everything –Has plain-language explanations about retirement you can share with     your employees such as: “Why Participate in a Retirement Plan?” and “How Much Can You Contribute to your Retirement Plan?”

This newsletter contains plain-language articles on common retirement plans such as SEP, SIMPLE IRA, 401(k) and 403(b) plans. We have included a subscribe link that can be used on your websites, mailings and newsletters. You can also get additional information including Types of Plans and FAQs on IRS.gov under the Retirement Plans Community tab.

II. Upcoming Events (June 2011):
            A. “Smart Leasing-What You Need to Know before Signing on the Dotted Line”.

                   When:  June 2nd.
                   Where: Conference Center, Gresham City Hall
                                133 NW Eastman Parkway, Gresham OR
                   Contact for reservations: 503 618-2872 or e-mail  smallbusiness at greshamoregon.gov

This free event will provide you with excellent information about such topics as how to negotiate a commercial lease,  understanding the “lingo” and costs of a lease agreement and spotting other lease requirements that can cost you money.  There is still plenty of time to sign up.
For more information, go to http://www.greshamoregon.gov/work/small-business  under “We Want
You Here Event”
B.      "9th Annual Employment and Business Fair”
Sponsored by the Hispanic Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce and American Family Insurance.

When: Tues June 28th
Times: 1:30pm-5:00pm
Where:  Oregon Convention Center
              777 NE MLK JR. Blvd, Portland OR
Contact:  Gale Castillo, gcastillo at hmccoregon.com for more information

III. Upcoming Classes (June 2011):

         A.  “Taxes Made Easy” Cost: FREE

                  When:    June 8th and June 22nd
                  Where:   June 8th.    Lane Community College, Small Business Development Center
                                                 1445 Willamette St, Eugene OR
                                June 22nd:  Chemeketa Community College, Small Business Development Center
                                                  626 High St. NE, Salem OR
                   Contact for reservations:   Lane SBDC:   541 463-5255
                                                             Chemeketa: 503 399-5088
                   Times:    June 8th       2:30-4:00
                                 June 22nd     10:00-11:30

You have decided to go into business and may even hire employees. Now what do you do? Learn the basics on correctly reporting and paying your state business tax obligations.  What taxes are required? How are these reported? How do I report taxes on my business income? What exactly is Combined Payroll? Get the answers to these questions and more in this free session.

        B.  IRS Webinar: “The Examination Process for Employment Taxes”
              When:  June 22, 11:00am
              Contact: www.irs.gov to register anytime before the program.

Viewers will learn from IRS and industry experts what to expect from an employment tax examination including information about:
Examination process
Statute of limitations
Examination results
Taxpayer and appeal rights
Settlement agreements and payment options
****Note: This broadcast is scheduled for 60 minutes, and a Certificate of Completion will be offered. Enrolled agents receive one CPE credit. Other tax professionals may receive credit if the broadcast meets their organization or state CPE requirements.

****If your group or organization would like to have a presenter speak to you on any Business or Payroll Tax topic, please feel free to contact the LISTSERV owner for more information

The Payrolltax-News e-mail list provides employers with complete and up-to-date payroll tax information. Employers can self-subscribe here. Representatives in the Business Division will send information to employers through this list. Employers can request additional information by e-mailing payroll.help.dor at state.or.us.
As a standard practice, e-mail sent from the department will be in text form only. Department of Revenue will not open attachments.
Questions about list content and subscription problems should be directed to the list owner:

Cathy Tavares
Oregon Dept of Revenue
Cathleen.M.Tavares at state.or.us