[OYAN] graphic novels list guidelines

Kris Lutsock kris.lutsock at ci.mcminnville.or.us
Thu Apr 28 13:46:24 PDT 2011

Take a look at these graphic novel list guidelines.  If given time, we
might discuss them at the OYAN membership meeting at the Fernridge
Public Library.  We, the graphic novel subcommittee, discussed and made
the on our best intuitions about what we thought would be most useful.
However, we would like input as to your thoughts.

Items to consider-

Focus on popular titles:   YALSA makes a great list featuring some of
the graphic novels of perhaps more "literary" nature.  Rather than
recreate YALSA's wheel, we decided to have the list focus on popular
titles, helping librarians make decisions among requests for
characters/genres they are more often hearing from their teen user
community.

Number of books  on the list:  Are we going to get enough librarians to
participate (and those that do to read enough of the nominees) to get
are targeted number of titles?

Publication dates.  Are we giving ourselves enough time, given the world
of mouth nature of the format, to read these titles before they are out
of our consideration range?

I will try to remember to bring enough copies of the guidelines for
everyone.

Kris Lutsock

Reference/Teen Services

McMinnville Public Library

225 NW Adams St.

McMinnville, OR 97128

503-435-5572

kris.lutsock at ci.mcminnville.or.us

Libraries are as the shrine where all the relics of the ancient saints,
full of true virtue, and that without delusion or imposture, are
preserved and reposed.
- Francis Bacon