[OYAN] 2012 Teen Summer Reading Video Challenge
lisae at tigard-or.gov
Fri Dec 9 13:25:39 PST 2011
[Please excuse any duplication due to cross-posting.]
It's time to launch the 2012 Teen Summer Reading Video Challenge. If you remember, last year was the first year of the contest and it was the brain child of folks at the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP). Each participating state runs the contest locally, winners are selected for each state, and are featured on the cslpreads.org website. Oregon teens are encouraged to create and submit 30-90 second PSAs promoting the summer reading program. The deadline for submissions is Saturday, March 3. All submissions will be posted to a YouTube channel which will be open for users to vote for their favorite videos by "Liking" them. The final winner will be selected by a panel of judges from OYAN. I've attached Oregon's entry form which includes contest rules, and I encourage you to check out the contest resources on the CSLP website<http://cslpreads.org/programs/young-adult-program/2012-teen-video-challenge.html>. I've also included some suggestions below about implementing the contest at your school or library. Please let me know if you have any questions. Note that while submitted videos must be posted online, paper forms need to be signed and submitted to me.
Video Contest Programming
* Plan a video making workshop using free video editing software like Windows Live Movie Maker.
* Invite folks from local cable access or film centers to teach a movie making workshop and/or provide equipment.
* Try animation workshops using Machinima<http://www.machinima.org/machinima-faq.html> or stop motion animation.
* While the library is closed, make the space available for movie makers. Provide cardboard, markers and crayons to create set pieces.
* Partner with a school or library. Many schools have media labs and may include PSAs as part of their curriculum.
* Partner with local youth groups like 4H Tech Wizards<http://extension.oregonstate.edu/metro4h/techwizards>.
* Consider tying the contest into Teen Tech Week (March 6-12). You could screen submissions at a celebration.
* Consider offering prizes for winners and runners up you select locally, but be sure that ALL submissions are sent to me for the state-wide contest.
All Oregon public, volunteer, and tribal libraries are members of the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP), and receive a free summer reading manual. To get the most out of your membership, create an account on the CSLP website (http://www.cslpreads.org/) and you will be able to access additional summer reading resources. CSLP membership dues and manual fees are paid for by the State Library with LSTA funds. Summer reading manuals are distributed by OLA's Children's Services Division, and both CSD and OYAN members represent you on CSLP committees and at the CSLP annual meeting.
For more information contact one of your CSLP representatives:
* Gayle Waiss, CSD Summer Reading Chair: gwaiss at siuslaw.lib.or.us<mailto:gwaiss at siuslaw.lib.or.us>
* Jessica Marie, CSD Summer Reading Incoming Chair: Jmarie at cityofsalem.net<mailto:Jmarie at cityofsalem.net>
* Lisa Elliott, OYAN CSLP Liaison: lisae at tigard-or.gov<mailto:lisae at tigard-or.gov>
* Katie Anderson, CSLP Oregon State Representative: katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>
Lisa N Elliott
Young Adult Librarian
Tigard Public Library<http://www.tigard-or.gov/library>
lisae at tigard-or.gov<mailto:lisae at tigard-or.gov>
DISCLAIMER: E-mails sent or received by City of Tigard employees are subject to public record laws. If requested, e-mail may be disclosed to another party unless exempt from disclosure under Oregon Public Records Law. E-mails are retained by the City of Tigard in compliance with the Oregon Administrative Rules "City General Records Retention Schedule."
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 2012 Teen Video Contest Entry Form.pdf
Size: 347813 bytes
Desc: 2012 Teen Video Contest Entry Form.pdf
More information about the OYAN