[OYAN] Do you use bots?

Mark Richardson MarkR at wccls.org
Thu Jun 16 17:21:55 PDT 2016

We circulate them and have done programs with  them.  They do allow users to practice with many different coding languages.  Here is what I told April earlier.

"They are tied to a keyboard with a long usb cord, so they are not free roaming.  That is by design as they didn't want to deal with batteries.  There is a lot of troubleshooting that goes on too, so kids need to be pretty flexible and try things over and over.  The lights in our meeting room seem to disrupt some of the light sensitive commands too.  But, in general, people doing coding need to develop a flexible mindset anyway, so it will foster that mindset for sure.  I think adults who are not used to coding (me) may have more frustration than the kids do.

They are cheap though, so they might be a good option for you."

Mark D. Richardson
Young Adult and Reference Librarian
Cedar Mill Library
12505 NW Cornell Rd. Suite #13