[PL-Directors] Increase in Library Use in the First Half of 07-08

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Tue Jan 13 11:00:13 PST 2009

Dear Directors:
The media, nationally and in Oregon, is showing interest in the increase in
public library use that might be due, in part, to the recession. I have
already gotten several calls about this and there have already been some
articles in Oregon newspapers.

In order to have more than anecdotal information to give to reporters, I
thought I would ask the public library directors to send me any data you
might have prepared for your Boards or governing officials about the
increase in library use in the first half of the 2007-08 fiscal year.

I am interested in comparisons between the first half of 2007-08 and the
first half of 2008-09 for circulation, internet use, visits, etc., that show
a significant increase in public library use.

Please don't go to any special efforts for my sake, but if you've already
compiled some data that compares the two years, I'd be pleased to get a
copy.

Thanks! --> Jim

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library