[PL-Directors] Gates Survey Closes January 30th

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Fri Jan 23 09:26:20 PST 2009

Dear Colleagues:

According to an email I received today the following libraries have not
completed the Broadband Assessment Project Survey from the Bill and Melinda
Gates Foundation:

 FOSSIL PUBLIC LIBRARY
 HERMISTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
 JEFFERSON COUNTY LIBRARY DISTRICT
 MONMOUTH PUBLIC LIBRARY
 BAKER  COUNTY LIBRARY DISTRICT
 NYSSA PUBLIC LIBRARY
 SCIO PUBLIC LIBRARY
 SHERIDAN PUBLIC LIBRARY
 STANFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY
 EMMA HUMPHREY LIBRARY
 WALLOWA PUBLIC LIBRARY
 COOS COUNTY LIBRARY SERVICE DISTRICT
 COQUILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY
 WASHINGTON COUNTY COOPERATIVE LIBRARY SERVICE (West Slope Branch)
 COTTAGE GROVE PUBLIC LIBRARY
 DALLAS PUBLIC LIBRARY
 MARY GILKEY CITY LIBRARY
 OREGON TRAIL LIBRARY DISTRICT
 GARDEN HOME COMMUNITY LIBRARY
 NORTH PLAINS PUBLIC LIBRARY
 SPRAY PUBLIC/SCHOOL LIBRARY
 SHERMAN COUNTY PUBLIC/SCHOOL LIBRARY
 WAGNER COMMUNITY LIBRARY

The survey closes on January 30, 2009. The Gates Foundation wants to hear
from 100% of Oregon libraries about their broadband connections so that they
can plan future activities to improve connectivity in libraries.

In the email I received today I learned for the first time that ³the
foundation may use the data we collect through the Broadband Assessment
Project to develop future grant programs.  In the event that your state is
invited to participate in a future program, libraries in your state that did
not respond to the Broadband Assessment Project research requests will not
be considered for participation.²

I have attached another copy of the survey in case you need it. We need you
or someone on your staff to download the survey, complete it online and
email the survey to <oregon at lrwsupport.com> before the final deadline of
January 30, 2009. If you have questions about how the complete the survey,
or if you believe you have already responded, you can call Barbara Giaimo at
310-552-7704.

I will greatly appreciate your cooperation in helping the Gates Foundation
to continue their commitment to improving public library services in Oregon
and elsewhere. --> Jim

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE