[PL-Directors] Stimulus Funds for Broadband and Public Access Computing

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Fri May 1 08:19:40 PDT 2009

Dear Directors:
There is an opportunity for public libraries to benefit from the American
Recovery and Reinvestment Act (aka "stimulus funds") that are targeted for
improvements to broadband access and public access computing.

This ALA website has lots of good information that you should review if you
are interested in this:

http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offices/wo/woissues/washfunding/fedfund/arra
101pgs/broadband.cfm

There are two programs that will have a total of $7.2 billion in funding
nationwide. The Oregon Public Utility Commission has estimated that Oregon
grantees may be able to receive a total of $55 million. Grants can be made
to both public and private sector entities. The best opportunity for
libraries appears to be with the NTIA program that you can read about on the
ALA website.  It sets aside $200 million nationwide specifically for "public
computer center capacity" (sounds like public libraries to me!).

The grant guidelines and applications for these programs are not yet
available, but should be available before too long.  The deadline for
applications is not known, but may be sometime this summer. The NTIA grants
will a require 20% match from non-federal sources, though there is a waiver
provision.

The most competitive applications may be from large-scale projects put
together by coalitions of community partners, perhaps even public and
private-sector partners. If I were you I would investigate whether there is
already a coalition forming in your community that the library could be a
part of.  Most cities and counties are well-aware of these grants. Find out
what is going on in your community.

Governor Kulongoski plans to endorse a limited number of applications from
Oregon that he believes will provide a good benefit to the state. If your
library is part of a large scale project that might merit support from the
Governor I would be happy to help try to get your project on the Governor's
list.

Things are moving quickly on this. Some project concepts have already been
submitted to the Governor's office. Again, I would encourage you to try to
find out what projects are cooking in your community that might be enhanced
to benefit your library. --> Jim

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE