[PL-Directors] State Library Closure Days Begin October 16

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Wed Oct 7 15:07:50 PDT 2009

Dear Library Directors:

As you have no doubt heard, Oregon¹s state government will close most
agencies, including the State Library, on ten Fridays that fall throughout
the current two-year budget period.  The closures will require state
employees to take mandatory unpaid furloughs on those days, saving Oregon¹s
taxpayers about $2 million a day.

The Governor¹s executive team has worked with the unions who represent state
workers to agree upon the dates of the closures, taking into account the
need to minimize inconvenience to the public. We have thus avoided the
costly and contentious legal battles that some other states have endured
when public employees have contested the planned furloughs and closures.

Here are the ten state agency closure days between now and July, 2011:

October 16, 2009
November 27, 2009
March 19, 2010
April 16, 2010
June 18, 210
August 20, 2010
September 17, 2010
November 26, 2010
March 18, 2011
May 20, 2011

Be assured we will do everything possible to minimize disruption and
hardship to those who rely on our services. We will have a plan in place to
keep automated systems like Plinkit and OSLIS running. We will work hard to
address any backlogs that may occur, and we will strive to help anyone who
has suffered inconvenience because of the closure.  We appreciate your
understanding, and we eagerly await the return of normal economic times with
a full resumption of our regular work schedule.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-378-4367
(fax) 503-585-8059
jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us

Go Green, Keep it on screen - think before you print.