[PL-Directors] Oregon Broadband Initiative for Rural Oregon

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Fri Feb 26 13:42:41 PST 2010

Dear Directors:
Some of you may have received a letter from a Hood River company called
Greenwire Broadband about an application they are going to make for Federal
stimulus money. Their application will propose to provide free broadband
connections to libraries in their service area (purportedly most rural areas
of the state). I wanted you to know that the State Library has already sent
them a letter of endorsement. I consulted with my contact at the Oregon
Public Utilities Commission and he did not see any downside to sending them
a letter. A copy of our letter is attached.

You will need to decide what, if anything, you want to do about this, if you
have been contacted. I just wanted you to know what we have done about it.
Let me know if you have questions about this.

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-378-4367
(fax) 503-585-8059
jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us

Go Green, Keep it on screen - think before you print.